Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HDX with Dante Via (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399373)

freakhouse 05-23-2018 03:31 PM

HDX with Dante Via

I've got a HD I/O and HDX card on Mac Pro. I've also got a Presonus Mixer RM16AI with a Dante card in it in a room about 50 feet away. Ethernet cable is running from Dante to the Mac. My goal is to use the Presonus to mic drums and bring up those inputs in Pro Tools. I want to monitor in the control room and have the drummer be able to monitor from the Presonus outputs. So far, I've been able to get the inputs to come up in Pro Tools and get audio but despite many experiments have yet to be able to get my main stereo bus to come up on the HD I/O. Seemingly I've connected the right elements to each other in Via, but obviously there is some piece of the puzzle I'm missing.

BScout 05-23-2018 04:11 PM

Re: HDX with Dante Via

Can't use Dante Via and HDX/HD i/o at the same time. Two different audio engines. If you want to use HDX with Dante (and the HD i/o) you need a Dante audio interface hooked up to the HDX card. Focusrite Rednet 5 or the Avid MTRX are two such interfaces.

Your other option is a standalone Dante to analogue/AES/ADAT converter that converts the Dante signal to either AES, ADAT, or Analogue that feeds into the HD i/o.

Whatever you choose, Pro Tools can only use one audio engine and it's either via CoreAudio access (which means Dante Via) or HDX. Not both.

Eric Seaberg 05-29-2018 08:50 PM

We purchased three of the Focusrite Red 4Pre which has built-in Dante and Avid DigiLink. Works GREAT in combination with our Avid HD IO and is seen as another 32 channels on the HD card. The Focusrite Red 8Pre does give you the full 64-channels on Dante. The units also have Thunderbolt and we will, eventually, lose our HD Native cards and go totally Thunderbolt with these and build out a larger Dante network within the facility.

BTW, the Red 4Pre is currently on sale at $700 off!!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...srite-red-4pre

Artysan 02-20-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg (Post 2489866)
The Focusrite Red 8Pre does give you the full 64-channels on Dante.

Not according to the Focusrite manuals and site. 32ch Dante per unit for the entire 4/8/16 line, which is turning out to be a dealbreaker.

JCBigler 02-20-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artysan (Post 2594060)
Not according to the Focusrite manuals and site. 32ch Dante per unit for the entire 4/8/16 line, which is turning out to be a dealbreaker.

The Focusrite Red interfaces include 32x32 channels of Dante networked audio, in addition to their onboard analog and digital i/o.

For the Red 8 Pre, which I own and use, it has 8 mic preamps/line inputs, plus 8 more line level inputs, as well as two ADAT ports which can be used in SMUX mode for 8 channels at 96kHz or 16 at 48kHz, plus two more S/PDIF ports; for a total of 64x64 channels.

The 16Line include the same i/o, except that that they only have 2 mic preamps.

The Red 4Pre includes 4 mic preamps, but will only do a maximum of 58 channels, for whatever reason, as does the Red 8 Line which also only has 2 mic preamps.

It's true though, if you want to get 64 channels of Dante into your Protools HDX/HD Native system, you will need a Red Net 5 (which are fairly cheap, but becoming very hard to find these days) or an HD32R or two, or one and a Red interface.

Artysan 02-21-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2594066)
It's true though, if you want to get 64 channels of Dante into your Protools HDX/HD Native system, you will need a Red Net 5 (which are fairly cheap, but becoming very hard to find these days) or an HD32R or two, or one and a Red interface.

Those are NOT computer interfaces, but rather Pro Tools interfaces. Big difference. Focusrite simply doesn’t make the multipurpose product I am looking for. And that’s a shame.

JCBigler 02-21-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artysan (Post 2594090)
Those are NOT computer interfaces, but rather Pro Tools interfaces. Big difference. Focusrite simply doesn’t make the multipurpose product I am looking for. And that’s a shame.

Each one of those interfaces has a Thunderbolt port and will connect directly to a computer. If you want an interface with 64 channels of Dante and Digilink ports, the only one on the market is the Avid MTRX Studio.

You can buy two HD32Rs for way less than rhe price of the MTRX Studio.

Artysan 02-21-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2594094)
Each one of those interfaces has a Thunderbolt port and will connect directly to a computer.

The HD32R has no Thunderbolt port. No computer interface at all.

JCBigler 02-21-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artysan (Post 2594096)
The HD32R has no Thunderbolt port. No computer interface at all.

What exactly are you looking to do?

If you already have an HDX card, a pair of the HD32Rs will allow you to connect a Dante network to your HDX card and get all 64 channels into Protools.

Or you can use a Red interface and a single HD32R which will give you 64 Dante inputs or a combination of Dante and analog+digital I/O.

uptheoctave 02-22-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artysan (Post 2594090)

Red 16 Line gives you 16 channels of ADA, 32 channels of Dante, 16 channels of ADAT, Thunderbolt and Digilink connectivity.
If you need 64 channels of Dante then try the PCIER card- that will do 128 channels (but no HDX).

I would love Focusrite to have done one device that did 64+ channels of Dante plus Thunderbolt & hardware monitoring but they don't.

I currently use a combination of a Red 16 Line, PCIER card and an Avid MTRX.