Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Go to session meals (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414994)

jlasoul 04-16-2021 09:32 AM

Go to session meals

Doing my first session in a pro studio next week.
I don’t want to name drop, but if I did, you guys would all know what it is. Looking for lunch ideas that are both healthy, cool, inspiring and that pro musicians will respect. Please keep in mind that this is a budget conscious session and there are nine musicians to feed. Also, we’re trying to knock out a full length in a day so the meals should be able to be consumed in under fifteen minutes.
Feeling nervous,
Bonn apitite !

JCBigler 04-16-2021 10:00 AM

Re: Go to session meals

So you're going to try to force your A list artists to shove a cheap quick meal down their throats in 15 minutes during a long full day recoding session? :confused:

Might not work out so well.

jlasoul 04-16-2021 10:27 AM

Ok. How much time do you usually allot to shove food down peoples throats?

albee1952 04-16-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlasoul (Post 2599757)

I usually give 90minutes:o

JCBigler 04-16-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlasoul (Post 2599757)

In my world (professional live production and recording), an hour is the normal amount of time for a meal.

90 minutes would not be uncalled for. Long whole day recording sessions are stressful days. And people need a bit of down time. Your engineer will probably need time to back up the session and prep for any changes in the afternoon.

Also, don't forget that in the age of COVID, you need to be extra cautious about cleaning and sanitizing your gear; mics, instruments, consoles, music stands, chairs...anything that people come in contact with. That all take extra time also.

Sardi 04-16-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2599765)
90 minutes would not be uncalled for. Long whole day recording sessions are stressful days. And people need a bit of down time. Your engineer will probably need time to back up the session and prep for any changes in the afternoon.

When does the engineer get to eat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCBigler 04-16-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2599790)
When does the engineer get to eat?

"We'll eat when we're dead." ;)

musicman691 04-17-2021 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2599765)
In my world (professional live production and recording), an hour is the normal amount of time for a meal.

Also, don't forget that in the age of COVID, you need to be extra cautious about cleaning and sanitizing your gear; mics, instruments, consoles, music stands, chairs...anything that people come in contact with. That all take extra time also.

To add to this (I'm not being facetious) but if people wolf down food real quick they'll be swallowing a lot of air. That air has to come out some way and that usually means a lot of belching. And that would spread all manner of stuff into the air. Not to mention all the re-takes you'd need to do and the work the engineer would have to go through in cleaning up the audio.

JFreak 04-17-2021 07:16 AM

Just a weird suggestion, how about asking the artists what they want to eat or are used to eat? I am usually asked what is my preferecne instead of just getting a pepperoni pizza or kebab with fries.

its2loud 04-17-2021 11:12 AM

Something easy to eat and not too heavy that will make everyone sleepy.

Assortment of sandwiches, meat and veggie, and a couple of salad options are generally a safe bet and can be individually wrapped for Covid safety.

If you’re only allowing 15 minutes for people to eat, you’re gonna have a lot of cranky people in your session. Let people have a decent break. They’re there to be productive. Let them chew and digest the lunch. Also with 9 musicians, it’s gonna take at least 10-20 minutes for all of them just get the food on their plates unless you’re throwing it at them.