Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Memory Marker Shortcut? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398989)

PaddyFlash 05-02-2018 10:25 AM

Memory Marker Shortcut?

Hi Everyone,
I'm running Pro Tools 2018.4.0 on Windows 10, on a laptop with no numeric keypad. I'm trying to figure out if there is a keyboard shortcut to add a memory marker. I read it's normally "Enter" on a numeric keypad, but alas my laptop doesn't have that. I've tried every combination of my Enter key and other keys, but nothing seems to work. Will I just have to deal with clicking to add a marker, or is there something I'm missing? I've tried searching on google, but all the solutions seem to be for Mac, and don't appear to work on Windows 10.
Cheers!

BScout 05-02-2018 10:49 AM

Re: Memory Marker Shortcut?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyFlash (Post 2486973)
Will I just have to deal with clicking to add a marker, or is there something I'm missing?

There is no workaround.

Most laptops have a numlock feature. With that turned on, a section of keys act as a numeric pad. In that mode, some keyboards will have a key (or enter) act as the num pad enter.

You could also use something like Sharpkeys to remap a keyboard key to the num pad Enter. Basic rundown here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-xp-vista/
Usually easiest to remap one of the CTRL, Alt, or Shift keys since there are two on the keyboard. I usually use right CTRL since I normally press left Control for Control.

mjslakeridge 05-02-2018 11:13 AM

You could buy an inexpensive usb numeric pad.

its2loud 05-02-2018 12:05 PM

If your laptop has a function (Fn) key. Try pressing that and the Return key to make a marker. The Fn key might make the Return fucntion as the numeric Enter. It does on a Mac

Ben Jenssen 08-15-2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2486991)
If your laptop has a function (Fn) key. Try pressing that and the Return key to make a marker. The Fn key might make the Return fucntion as the numeric Enter. It does on a Mac

Thanks for that. Very useful for me as I'm getting more and more into using my old Command|8 together with SSL UC1 to work on mixes without PT on screen.

Another nice trick I just picked up; if you have the cursor in the memory locations timeline, you can tab to the next memory location. Alt/opt-tab to go to previous marker.

The Weed 08-15-2021 10:10 AM

Ben, you can also highlight the area between Markers with the same keyboard shortcuts you would with audio, then Shift+; to make that highlighted area include a track or tracks under the Markers Timeline. Then in Shuffle, you can delete that area and the Marker(s) will move up. Great for dropping in Markers for later editing.

Another use for Markers is to put the Grid in Clips & Markers and then you can separate any Clips at the beginning and end of Clips and at Markers.

Ben Jenssen 08-15-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 2610787)
Ben, you can also highlight the area between Markers with the same keyboard shortcuts you would with audio, then Shift+; to make that highlighted area include a track or tracks under the Markers Timeline. Then in Shuffle, you can delete that area and the Marker(s) will move up. Great for dropping in Markers for later editing.

Another use for Markers is to put the Grid in Clips & Markers and then you can separate any Clips at the beginning and end of Clips and at Markers.

Thanks, Bruce.
All info welcome, but for me now, I'm mostly digging up old projects to remix, so there is almost no editing. But man, am I having fun using my "virtual SSL 9000" (C8+UC1) to remix the best bands I had in my studio two decades ago. Almost without mouse/screen.

:D

EGS 08-29-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyFlash (Post 2486973)
...I've tried every combination of my Enter key and other keys, but nothing seems to work...

What laptop model? Have you confirmed the enter key is dead i.e. not working on any/all apps? If the keyboard is damaged, try opening up & clean it, replace it, or add an external kbd. There's a pref in PTools re setting markers. Have you tried that?

RafaelOvni 04-18-2023 09:19 PM

Does anybody knows a keyboard shortcut for dropping markers during playback when using a MacBook Pro (details in my signature) without a numeric keypad?
Thank you

Ben Jenssen 04-18-2023 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RafaelOvni (Post 2669050)
Does anybody knows a keyboard shortcut for dropping markers during playback when using a MacBook Pro (details in my signature) without a numeric keypad?
Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2486991)