Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Warm, classy and under £1500 s/h? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=105213)

nimmouk 05-05-2004 05:13 PM

Warm, classy and under £1500 s/h?

Not sure of best place to post this but was looking for some info on desks ^^^^

Ive had little ones in the past (samson 1502, Mackie1202 etc) but went with a rush of blood a few years back and have been routing directly into soundcard, mixing internally and digitally bouncing (001, now 002r with PT)

Ive had a craving for something like in the title for a while, and as the kit has grown again ive gradually run out of inputs from using the 8 ins of the 002 to hooking back up the mackie 1202 to get more in alongside.

I really just want to take the plunge into a sexy big ol analogue desk and get some nice sound/eq

Not fussed about automation and all the digital revolution stuff, simplicity has always been my best friend - Ive seen some Mackie 32/8's with Meterbridges for sale for about 1000-1500 uk pounds, also Soundcrafts and soundtracs for a bit cheaper etc...

Whats the best in its class at this level? whos used/got/owned etc?

Is say, the Mackie32/8 going to sound significantly better/worse/differnt than the likes of a similarly spec'ed soundtrac/Soundcraft desk?

Any help?

Currently using - G5 2.0 dual, 002R and P.T 6.2.2

Many thanks

Alan

tclash 05-05-2004 06:51 PM

Re: Warm, classy and under £1500 s/h?

I have a Sondcraft Ghost and like the sound of it a lot for a semi-pro desk. The EQ (and overall sound for that matter) on it is significantly better than the Mackie, I think. Just make sure you get it with the most recent power supply. I saved some ££ ($$ actually) getting the version without the automation extras and haven't regretted it.

Shelob9 05-05-2004 10:31 PM

Mixed a song on a Sondcraft Ghost a week or two ago. Very nice sound, very warm and three demensional. If only the song had been any good... Wish I got to mix on a console like that all the time (though having no automation is very wierd.)

kite 05-06-2004 01:54 AM

check out the Midas Venice range-lovely warm EQ, flexible aux's etc It is based on the Midas XL3 range with same front end, which was what persuaded me to buy one, having always specified Midas desks for live use.. Only shortcoming is 60mm faders. I have had one in the studio here for a couple of years now, -also has separate headphone volume control -very useful !
My model ,24:4:2 cost around £2000 new, from London Mic Centre in Acton.

nimmouk 05-06-2004 07:13 AM

hey, thanks guys- I actually spotted a couple of used soundtrac desks (24/8 and midi24) that i was considering. The Midas range looks great btw, i was hoping to not spend as much as 2k though if i could find a nice used one.

Those soundtrac older 24 channel boards though, they arent going to be as quiet as the likes of a 24/8 mackie right? I may be way off, I just really like the look (and price) of those soundtracs, but Ive had small Mackies before which have never let me down

Alan