Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

-jj- 12-08-2003 07:59 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Roy,
The "??????" was only workname in start of session , and I used to ask several times what was the name of song, but they didn´t know. So they printed in cover "??????" and that´s it
I like her (Maria) voice too.. and not just the voice, it was very nice to record vocal parts in middle of the nights and early hours of morning with her
But I look forward to your comments to other tracks, thanks

SSRJazz 12-08-2003 08:47 PM

jj: ?????? is rawkin! =)

aussie169: I love "Think of You" ... great acoustic guitar work.....just excellent mix overall...great job....

Here's a couple more for ya'll to chomp on.

I Need You - Clarence Bouse

and an instrumental:

I Will Prevail - Randy Melick

Enjoy..and keep 'em coming.... =)

Aussie169 12-08-2003 09:07 PM

Thanks Jeff

I'll download yours tonight. (at work right now)

Aussie169 12-08-2003 10:47 PM

Jeff

A few comments that I hope will help you. These are my opinions only, and I'm no pro. So take them as you will.

1.) I Need You. - Nice song. Back off the highs on the vocals, they get very harsh to my ears. He has the sort of voice I like to add a bit of color to, and that usually involves rolling off the tops.
When all the instruments come in, the vocals almost disappear. This suggests to me that you have some fairly heavy compression happening on the master fader. The heavy instruments come in and the comp squashes the crap out of everything and the vocals (lighter parts) get burried. Here's a little trick I have learned. bus ALL your instrument tracks to a stereo AUX track and put compression/limiting on there. Then bus ALL you vocal tracks to another stereo AUX track and add separate compression/limiting there. This way you have total comtrol over the two sides of the song. You can compress the crap out of the music without harming the vocals, which generally always need much lighter compression. This leaves the master fader for last stage EQing, stereo imaging etc. etc.

2.) I Will Prevail. - This is a really pretty track. Well played and mixed. Are the acoustics DI'd? It sounds like they are, but it sounds sweet.

Thanks for posting.

hornedrum 12-09-2003 07:32 AM

Here\'s mine

Feedback most welcome!

The track "Cabbage" is the most finished.....

http://homepage.mac.com/audiophiliac/

Tito Ricci Arballo 12-09-2003 10:31 AM

Re: Here\'s mine

horndrum,

That Cabbage is a tasty track. Real smooth. the levels sound good to me, too. Give us a look at your workflow.

Thanks, Tito

B. Dub

homepage

PS. I just noticed you used Reason. Very nice. Tell me about how you recorded the guitar.

SSRJazz 12-09-2003 10:42 AM

Quote:

Jeff

A few comments that I hope will help you. These are my opinions only, and I'm no pro. So take them as you will.

1.) I Need You. - Nice song. Back off the highs on the vocals, they get very harsh to my ears. He has the sort of voice I like to add a bit of color to, and that usually involves rolling off the tops.
When all the instruments come in, the vocals almost disappear. This suggests to me that you have some fairly heavy compression happening on the master fader. The heavy instruments come in and the comp squashes the crap out of everything and the vocals (lighter parts) get burried. Here's a little trick I have learned. bus ALL your instrument tracks to a stereo AUX track and put compression/limiting on there. Then bus ALL you vocal tracks to another stereo AUX track and add separate compression/limiting there. This way you have total comtrol over the two sides of the song. You can compress the crap out of the music without harming the vocals, which generally always need much lighter compression. This leaves the master fader for last stage EQing, stereo imaging etc. etc.

Well, it's not a final mix by any means. In fact, I was playing with it up until the point I bounced it to mp3.

What are you listening to the song with?.. Headphones, Home Stereo?, etc? I don't have any problems hearing the vocals when the instruments come in. I do find that sometimes listening through headphones will sometimes give me an impression that the vocals are getting lost, but when I listen through a stereo or monitors, that's not really the case. I only have a 1.4 ghz processor so I have to bounce my final mix to disk then make a new session and master that. I'm using waves mblim, mbeq, rverb, and then an L2... there really isn't much compression going on with the L2....it's just there to give the hotter signal and ride out the peaks. My ears are REALLY picky about overcompression...drives me nuts when I hear it...so I try not to overdo it. I usually strive , 1) Keep most instruments as 'natural' sounding as possible unless I'm going for a specific effect. and 2) To get that nice crisp eq curve that most major label recordings have......really so it sounds you're sitting right there in the room with that band...except at a comfortable listening level. .might have pushed the high end just a little this one tho... I do find that sometimes I'm fighting with the vocal / music levels sometimes tho...I'll have to try your suggestions on some of the songs I'm having problems with. If I have a lot of vocal tracks, like on the gospel choir recordings I'm doing...I'll sub-mix the vocals down into aux tracks (one aux for lead vox, another for the choir). Gives me something else to try. =)

Quote:

2.) I Will Prevail. - This is a really pretty track. Well played and mixed. Are the acoustics DI'd? It sounds like they are, but it sounds sweet.

Yeah...I can't remember if Randy originally recorded this on a roland vs-xxxx workstation or if he did it with cubase vst and hooked into his soundblaster live drive I gave him. I know we recorded the bass part in pro-tools. All the acoustic guitar stuff is usually guitar <-> workstation input. Not even a DI box. Hohner makes some excellent and affordable acoustic guitars....and they sound and play killer.. (no I don't work for 'em..I just 'em) =) One of these days we're gonna get randy set up for recording directly with ProTools.... =)

Quote:

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for listening and for the great suggestions!

Aussie169 12-09-2003 01:18 PM

Hi Jeff
Yes, I was listening through cans, (but they are high end, Beyerdynamic DT770 pros) because the speakers on my home computer suck, and my 4yo son sleeps in the next room LOL.
You can still use that split compression technique on your system. Just bounce the music and vocals separately so you end up with two bounced tracks. Then put the two in your mastering session and take it from there. The technique is known as "2+2 mastering". There is a pro mastering engineer in Florida (Bill Roberts) who prefers to master this way. Gives him heaps more control.

Anyway, keep posting. I'd like to hear more.

Ping Pong 12-09-2003 03:26 PM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum and to audio engineering. I am a bit timid about submitting this example of what we (our band) are trying to accomplish using a Mac(OS9), PTLE and a couple of Mics (thru Mbox). Before submitting I read EVERY THREAD and listen to EVERY SAMPLE. Some really good i.e., GOOD stuff out there. Also took time to read as many profiles (of members) as I could squeeze the time for. Impressive group. Everyone please feel free to offer any (good or bad) opinions and, or, suggestions as I am a spunge. Here it is....(after arriving at the site click on "RUNAWAY").
http://www.theevolutionband.com/thee...musicpage.html

hornedrum 12-09-2003 03:27 PM

Hi Tito

Thanks!

The guitar was recorded live, not within reason, sorry!
Can't remember much about the guitar, but it went straight from the 'pod' into the 001, our wah was bust, so we used the automatic one in the pod.

I had cut the drums live to begin with, but my sounds were wrong, so I just programmed it in reason, and bounced it into PT.

My gear is as follows:

Emu E-Synth workstation
Novation Nova
My own drums/percussion (congas/djembe/shakers etc)
Creative Essentials rfl.s for reason (great sounds!)

So: reason for drums, esynth/nova for bass sounds, nova for wacky sounds, percussion live, all going through the Mackie into PT. (reason with rewire into PT)

I love your stuff too, remember it being the first thing I'd heard/seen from the DUC and being REALLY impressed(about 5/6 months ago?)

Anyway, cheers Tito!

Andrew