Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Pro Tools "Not responding" every 45 seconds (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416903)

Pete89 09-06-2021 11:24 AM

Pro Tools "Not responding" every 45 seconds

Just installed Pro Tools and I am seeing a Not Responding every 45 seconds. The program just freezes. I dont have any apps open at the time it happens. This happens just after a reboot and login. I am attaching a trace file from Windows Procmon that tell all about what is going on. I ran the trace only for a few seconds while the PC was "not responding". I don't see any smoking gun but maybe there is some Reg/File/CPU maestro who can read the tea leaves.

Well, I could not attach the trace file.....

Hmmm not too sure what I can do next. Let me know if you would like to see the trace file and I can get it to you.

Many thanks,
Pete89

The Weed 09-06-2021 03:58 PM

Re: Pro Tools "Not responding" every 45 seconds

Do you have any expired demo plug-ins? Are you using an iLok or iLok Cloud?

Pete89 09-07-2021 01:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This installation is one day old, and literally I have done nothing so far to the configuration. Here are some screen shots. This is starting to smell like a reinstall of Windows.

albee1952 09-07-2021 07:18 AM

Sadly, the screen shots are a bit too fuzzy to read for me. "every 45 seconds" sounds to me like some program is running in the background and tries to "phone home" every 45 seconds. Giving us full details on the computer might help get better advice.

Having said that, I would run Malwarebytes anti-malware and Ccleaner to clean the Registry(run it over and over until it finds no issues):o

EGS 09-07-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2612885)
...Malwarebytes anti-malware and Ccleaner to clean the Registry(run it over and over until it finds no issues):o

+1. Another one I like is SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition. It even has a "quick scan" option that works pretty well.

scenaria 09-07-2021 08:31 PM

I had a similar issue on a MacBook. Turned out I was losing cloud authorization. I had the MacBook on Wi-Fi and it was hardwired over Ethernet to the d-control. Problem was for whatever reason it would persist to use hardwire as internet connection and then drop authorization which resulted in a freeze

TrentWilliams 09-07-2021 08:40 PM

If you're on a Mac:

Disable Time Machine, or use TimeMachineEditor to schedule backups outside of work hours.

Eric Lambert 09-07-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrentWilliams (Post 2612969)
If you're on a Mac:

Disable Time Machine, or use TimeMachineEditor to schedule backups outside of work hours.

I had a similar thought but he's on a PC.

In Mac-land, the computer can often check to see which external drives are still connected, and it's been an issue for PT for years, but I don't know if Windows interrupts its apps in the same way.

I will say that the latest two iterations of PT have been beachball-laden. I'd go back 3 versions (to safety) but I rather enjoy some of the new things in the latest version.

Being Mac-specific again (sorry), I've experienced similar odd delays about every minute which were fixed by nothing more complicated than resetting PRAM (now called NVRAM). I also wonder if Windows has a similar BIOS-level management scheme that can become corrupt and need resetting every once in a while...?

Pete89 09-08-2021 01:42 AM

Thanks for all the input, but in the end I wiped the PC and did a reinstall of Windows and so far, so good.

I don't think it was a resource issue as there was plenty of available RAM and CPU, and I didn't see any network connections opening up at the time it froze, but I ran of patience and quit troubleshooting.

Now on to recording!!

Thanks again
Pete

albee1952 09-08-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete89 (Post 2612982)
Thanks for all the input, but in the end I wiped the PC and did a reinstall of Windows and so far, so good.

I don't think it was a resource issue as there was plenty of available RAM and CPU, and I didn't see any network connections opening up at the time it froze, but I ran of patience and quit troubleshooting.

Now on to recording!!

Thanks again
Pete

Now that things are working, this is the perfect time to save a drive image of your C: drive:rolleyes: