Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Problem with Folder Tracks: Plays out of sync after Freeze (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409221)

XJENSEN 04-01-2020 12:39 PM

Problem with Folder Tracks: Plays out of sync after Freeze

Hi everyone,

I'm having huge problems with freezing of (nested) folder tracks.
Something seems to be upsetting the Delay Compensation.

When I play back regularly, before freezing, everything sounds in sync, with ADC on, perfectly aligned to the click.

When I freeze, the audio looks perfectly aligned to the grid, good!
Frozen audio and click track display the same amount of delay compensation.
But when playing back, they play back out of sync! :eek:

Anyone else experiencing this? :confused:

Cheers

EDIT: Tracks have same routing and I have confirmed: Disabling ADC makes them play perfectly in sync. So, something wrong with the ADC engine?

XJENSEN 04-01-2020 01:18 PM

Re: Problem with Folder Tracks: Plays out of sync after Freeze

I already found the cause! If any other track in the session has a User Offset, the frozen folder track starts to play out of sync by that amount.

So it's not a problem with the Freeze function, but rather with the delay compensation of the frozen folder track (not a frozen track in general, because my frozen click track plays fine).

Definitely a bug they overlooked. I will report it to Avid.

EDIT: Reported as case 03916895.

Additionally, the workaround to instead commit the track also fails, and the audio is placed too early on the timeline. This only happens for folder tracks. Other tracks in the session commit and freeze fine.

XJENSEN 04-02-2020 02:49 AM

It also seems impossible to dial in a negative User Offset on the frozen folder track.

mirovaz 04-02-2020 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I am not using folder tracks until I finish the album I am currently mixing... I do use lots of frozen tracks.

Oggy 04-02-2020 11:27 PM

Oh well, another year of waiting for a fix....

Thanks for the heads-up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJENSEN 04-04-2020 05:45 AM

Another heads up: First bug was confirmed by Avid and logged as PT-261047.

The negative user offsets not being allowed for Folder Tracks is explained as 'by design', because a Folder Track basically behaves as an Aux track in this respect (Aux tracks also don't allow a negative offset, whether frozen or unfrozen).

As soon as they fix the first bug, committing the Folder Track would become a viable workaround.

I think they could improve their general design concept and allow for any frozen track (which basically behaves as audio once it's frozen) to be allowed to be negatively compensated. The +/- icon for User Offsets is misleading in this respect and also no word about it in the manual. Just the warning you get when you try to set a negative offset in PT itself.

On the other hand, there's the argument that you would probably compensate any timing problems at the source tracks, so it becomes less relevant for the Aux/Folder tracks. So I can live with that.

Ben Jenssen 01-13-2021 08:49 AM

I'm picking this up as I'm starting to use folder tracks and routing folders, and I heard of these latency compensation and freeze problems.
Are they still there in 2020.11, 12?
If I just stay away from freezing routing folder tracks, will I be OK?

Franklyn 01-24-2021 10:53 AM

AVID, can you please fix this? Its essential to get correct timing results when committing/freezing folders.
A month has passed and still no fix?
We pay you more for update than other DAWs cost completely and you leave us alone with timing issues?

please do your work !

Ben Jenssen 01-24-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklyn (Post 2591266)
AVID, can you please fix this? Its essential to get correct timing results when committing/freezing folders.
A month has passed and still no fix?
We pay you more for update than other DAWs cost completely and you leave us alone with timing issues?

please do your work !

Firstly, your profile says you're on PT2018. Secondly, you know this is a user forum. This is not Avid support.
And the thread is old as the pandemic…

Franklyn 01-24-2021 11:20 AM

ha ha ha, Sorry :)

I m on 2020.12 and I had some issues some days ago.

but thanx for the info. i change my profile.

so, is this 100% fixed?

than I will verify whats up with me special problem.