Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   windows xp services start/stop text file ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=99324)

technician 03-04-2004 05:52 PM

windows xp services start/stop text file ?

I read some where not long ago about a way to make a single file control the start/stop of the services. You would make a text file with a line of code and the service you want to control and rename it into another type of file. I've searched the duc and various other music forums to find this and can't find it anywhere. it will be of great help to me if someone knows how I can do this. anyone know where to find this info? It would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

kojinsei 03-04-2004 06:28 PM

Re: windows xp services start/stop text file ?

I used to have a number of these. I'd love to see them again as well.

FatBelly 03-04-2004 07:05 PM

Try here.

Tweakxp.com

I hope this is what your were looking for.

FatBelly Slim

technician 03-04-2004 07:13 PM

Thanks "FatBelly" but unfortunatly they don't have it. I looked there too, and found nothing about the text converstion for services. I can't find it anywhere! I searched the duc 5-6 times now, looking everywhere, and can't find it anywhere! Someone has to know where I can find this info! Anyone?

FatBelly 03-04-2004 07:59 PM

Unless I'm reading it wrong you may want to check the link I posted.

I don't know If you checked to link but it appears to explain exactly how to do what you're asking about.

But then again what do I know, I'm still using Cubase. LOL

FatBelly Slim

nukmusic 03-04-2004 09:55 PM

You may be talking about creating different hardware profiles. Forgot where I saw it. But it was a way you could have difference hardware/software settings which would be selectable at bootup. sort of like dual-boot os drives.

Try: "Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware Profiles tab"

K.B. 03-05-2004 04:37 AM

Services on / off? Won't that mean a reboot?

You want PTLE to run as fast as poss I assume?

In which case (here I go again) why don't you just opt for a multi-boot up option, and keep PTLE in its own boot up, with no other software running, and XP stripped right down. It's easy. Probably easier than what you're doing. I give a bit of a description of how I did this here. And there's some general advice about multi-booting here just in case you need it (which, I have a feeling, you don't)

bstaley 03-05-2004 05:28 AM

I do exactly what you are talking about. Try this...paste the following text into a blank text file and save it to your desktop with the name "stop services.bat". You will run this file to shut down services and launch ProTools automatically. Here is the text:

sc stop wuauserv
sc stop eventsystem
sc stop browser
sc stop cryptsvc
sc stop defwatch
sc stop ersvc
sc stop gearsecurity
sc stop helpsvc
sc stop ipodservice
sc stop policyagent
sc stop spooler
sc stop samSs
sc stop lanmanserver
sc stop shellhwdetection
sc stop SSDPSRV
sc stop schedule
sc stop winvnc
sc stop WebClient
sc stop stisvc
sc stop W32Time
sc stop WZCSVC
"C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Pro Tools\ProToolsLE.exe"

Now create another text file called "restart services.bat" and paste in the following text:

sc start wuauserv
sc start eventsystem
sc start browser
sc start cryptsvc
sc start defwatch
sc start ersvc
sc start gearsecurity
sc start helpsvc
sc start ipodservice
sc start policyagent
sc start spooler
sc start samSs
sc start lanmanserver
sc start shellhwdetection
sc start SSDPSRV
sc start schedule
sc start winvnc
sc start WebClient
sc start stisvc
sc start W32Time
sc start WZCSVC

The second file is what you would run after you are done with ProTools. It will restart everything that you had previously shut off.

***NOTE***
These are services on MY system that I am comfortable shutting down. I did some research as I built this file. Go to someplace like tweakxp.com and learn what each of your services does before you try this. Make sure that you have the same services in both files. I won't be held responsible if your computer gets messed up. I'm only showing you the technique of how to do it.

Speedoo 03-05-2004 09:09 AM

I just created a new hardware profile that does what you want. When I boot my computer I'm given a choice of "default" or "ProTools" profiles. The ProTools profile has all non-essential services disabled. I learned how to do this, as well as which services can be disabled, at www.blackviper.com. It's true you have to manually disable each service the first time, but after you save the settings, you never have to do it again. Hope this helps.

technician 03-05-2004 03:02 PM

bstaley, this is EXACTLY what I wanted! Thank you so much for the help! This is the biggest help I've had on this board so far! Thanks again! GREAT!!!