Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   LINKING 2 002's and 2 G5's (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=193327)

lastminute 03-24-2007 10:13 PM

LINKING 2 002\'s and 2 G5\'s

Has anyone done this?

If so, how do I do this?

Will this give me 16 in/outs and 16 ADAT in/outs?

I have a G5 Quad 2.5 and Dual 2.3 running 7.3 and osx tiger

and a 002 rack and 002 Mixer

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

God bless <><

flommer 03-24-2007 11:32 PM

Re: LINKING 2 002\'s and 2 G5\'s

I don't think you can "link" them, per say, other than to take the summed stereo output of one system into the other, probably via the rca spdif. Then you can link the transports with MIDI with one acting as the slave.. The two sessions will still be independant on the 2 individual macs with one acting as the final or master. Sounds kinda cumbersome to me, but depending on your application and considering you already have the gear you might as well give it a try..

Ryan Young 03-24-2007 11:55 PM

Just like flommer said, you can sync the two systems together, having one chase the other, but it would be on 2 separate computers. Useful if you have someone with a huge FX session and someone else with a huge music session, or something like that.

koka 03-25-2007 07:19 AM

Hi,Im interesting in this problem for a years but no success.
Just to ask what does the ethernet controllers in setup is?

Is it for Icon or can we use this to integrate two systems with Le in one bigger?

All ideas will be wellcome.

lastminute 03-25-2007 12:22 PM

Thank you for all the replys!

Does anyone know for sure one way or the other... I've read places that you can link them up.... but nobody ever gave ways how except connecting through midi... I should be getting my 2nd 002 back from Black Lion Audio Tuesday.... so I can try it then..... any other advice would be greatly appreciated! So i have a good place to start! Thanks again for all the replys! Much love!

God bless <><

lastminute 03-25-2007 05:07 PM

bump

southboundloco 03-25-2007 05:50 PM

can the oo2 mixer function as a stand alone mixer? if it can maybe it could work this way...open a session using ur 002 rack. have the mixer function as a stand alone mixer, if the mixer has an ADAT out then u can connect that to ur oo2 rack via lightpipe, allowing u to have 16 simultaneous inputs all at once...

it easier with m-powered

Shawn Simpson 03-25-2007 08:10 PM

The description of "linking" 2 LE systems (or HD systems for that matter) is a bit misleading. They're not really linked, one is slaved to the other via positional and speed references. Essentially, one machine is set to generate MIDI Timecode out of one of the MIDI outputs (Setup>Session, Generate MTC to Port), the other is set to receive MTC thru one of its MIDI inputs (setup>peripherals>synchronization). The machine sending MTC is considered the MASTER, the one receiving MTC is considered the SLAVE.

Then an RCA cable is connected from the master to the slave's s/pdif connection. The slave's clock reference is set to s/pdif.

Now you have a positional reference via MTC and a speed (clock) reference via s/pdif.

Put the slave machine "online" (turn on the little clock'ish button on the far left of the transport window). When you press play on the master, the MTC should roll and so long as the slave's start time is set correctly (also in setup>session), the slave machine should start rolling.

This is really no different than synchronizing 2 or more tape machines. You simply have multiple machines playing in sync by virtue of the positional and speed reference.

Maybe that helps, maybe not. Good luck.

lastminute 03-29-2007 01:25 PM

Thank you very much!!! Your help is greatly appreciated!

God bless <><

tele_player 03-29-2007 06:30 PM

You can also use the optical port, instead of the S/PDIF, to sync the clocks, which will also allow you to bring 8 channels from one 002 into the other, but you'll be limited to 48k max.