Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Solved my Drumming Nightmare... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=277841)

TreeDaddy 07-13-2010 02:51 AM

Solved my Drumming Nightmare...

Hey all... wanted to post this just in case anyone else is struggling with this issue that I had suffered for the past few months because it really sucked for me until now...
First I'm not a drummer but need REAL sounding drums..

I originally bought Strike...great sounding drums but absolute crap preset grooves (for me). Downloaded the updates: BS. I can buy the newest Strike upgrade for $99 for more limited features. F that...

...broke down and bought EZDrummer...absolute gem for programming/arrangement which I desperately needed...drag and drop is where it's at BUT...didn't like the sounds...

...downloaded some midi packs like Monster Midi and a couple from other sites...EZDrummer recognizes them instantly and they sound very real...

My Solution:arrange the different midi from the packs (fills, etc) into EZDrummer, modify the midi and use Strike to trigger the sounds. Perfect!

This process can take hours BUT it doesn't take weeks like it used to! Sorry if this seems like a stupid post (because I didn't learn this sooner:() but it has already saved so much time and wanted to share. If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to chime in....

albee1952 07-13-2010 07:29 AM

Re: Solved my Drumming Nightmare...

Not stupid at all. Whatever works for you is the way to go:D I just gave up on the loops and "play" the parts on an M-Audio trigger Finger or a Roland TD10 kit. Now I'm no drummer either, so there's lots of editing the midi before its presentable:cool: Regarding the ezdrummer sounds, the stock kit is pretty lame. The Nashville EZX helps a bit, but SD2 takes it to a much better place(of course, if you are happy with what you have now, there's no reason to change).

SpinningDisk 07-13-2010 02:00 PM

Don't forget AD. Like albee1952 said, if it works for you.

Woodrow 08-04-2010 10:04 PM

I've been using Addictive Drums for a few months and love it. Very real. Good kits. They have lots of midi paks and quite a few add ons, specific genre kits. FWI I love it. It's all drag and drop as well. I guess they all are. Sorry I got on this thread late. I had the great drum search not too long ago myself.

obiwan177 08-04-2010 10:08 PM

I find that drum samplers are good for throwing together something quick and for writing and stuff, but acoustic drums have much more potential for sounding better and more intimate and real. They also have the potential for sounding really really bad though :p

danander11 08-05-2010 12:30 AM

I'll second what Albee said, SD is better.. I have a number of their kits and even though I'm a drummer and have a beautiful Recording Custom kit here at home, I will sometimes use the sounds in SD for replacements over what I get.. Many different drums and percussion, all reacorded and presented very well.

+1 on SD

nerhal 08-06-2010 12:11 AM

you might like bfd drums as well. lots of options there.

AdamPT8 08-07-2010 02:02 AM

i've found battery to be good for samples for me, the only problem is there is a lot of bad samples as well. I also use sample packs on CD's and find the good ones off there.

The only problem is you have to either draw in the midi yourself or use midi loops.

AdamPT8 08-07-2010 02:10 AM

On a side note...

Drum patterns and chord sequences aren't copyrightable are they? only lyrics and melodies.

obiwan177 08-07-2010 11:12 AM

I know for sure that chord progressions aren't copyrightable. I don't think drum patterns could be either, unless it's a sample. I am pretty sure if you use samples from another song, you have to pay royalties on that.