Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Think my 003 may have a fried chipset:( (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=241120)

PROfyt 03-08-2009 09:14 PM

Think my 003 may have a fried chipset:(

As the title says :(

I can run all the utility tests fine.. The green led in the back is solid but no connectivity on various pcs or macs.... new cables...any suggestions?.. I live in maine closest arc is in new york! AHHHH! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

albee1952 03-08-2009 09:49 PM

Re: Think my 003 may have a fried chipset:(

One sure way to find out would be to test it on someone else's working system. Did it get some kind of voltage spike? Maybe a lightening storm or power outage? If so, check with your home owner's policy and see if they will buy you a new one.

PROfyt 03-08-2009 10:19 PM

thanks for the quick feedback! I've tried to plug it into my pt setup and its unable to find. w/ a few diff cables. I recently tried to plug my 003 to my new pc rig via a external hd first... things got weird after that. I thought i could do that w/o a problem. its odd because everything seems normal. all the lights work, i get the link light that goes thru its post fine, lights up when there is a cable in it (stays on when i pull it out tho?). Im kinda thinkin it might be the cables but ive tried several and the one i was using worked fine for a year! This thing only has a one year warrenty right? I forgot to register so im getting really crappy tech support.. I feel so lost.. Ive been fortunate enough to be steady working for the past couple months.. was right in the middle of a project and now this!! Peoples continued feedback is appreciated.. I'd love to not have to send this out for repair. Hopefully someones had a similar problem fixed! Thanks all!

Jeremy

PROfyt 03-08-2009 10:20 PM

I also am unable to find anyone else in my area w/ a working rig other than myself. So i can only test on my stuff!

-j

tonepad 03-09-2009 12:03 AM

1. Try to trash prefs and all databases on your system.
2. There is an update for the 003 if you're running PT 8, so do that, and
3. It is also possible that you a firewire hardware issue
4. The 003 like most DIGI hardware is not easy to fry unless there's something you're not telling us...is there? :-)

Wilson

BTW you should always try to present at least basic system info like PT rev and your PC flavor etc. Otherwise you gets the generic sugs which also may solve your issues.

PROfyt 03-09-2009 08:36 AM

the only thing ive done out of ordinary is try to hook up the 003 thru a hd plugged into my new rig, a amd quadcore based system w/ 4 gigs of ram. It had performed flawlessly for about a year prior to that in various other rigs... Id done the 8 update when i first used 8 on an imac.. Im getting absolutly no signal from my 003 via firewire in any situation, in any rig i try. Is there a way to tell if the chipsets fried? By using a voltage meter or something? Is there any sort of master reset for the 003? Ive tried all the tests via utility and they all complete fine.. I would think if my firewire chipset was fried the link light wouldnt operate correctly, but it does! Thanks all!

Specs:
PT 7,8
amd 9850
foxconn a79-s mobo
1.83 imac
2.1 macbook

sw rec 03-09-2009 09:59 AM

Although they won't usually tell you til AFTER you fry it, it's not recommended to hot-swap these things. Did you?

PROfyt 03-09-2009 04:05 PM

i guess i did! I guess im not 100% clear on what hotswaaping is.. my external hd was plugged into my pc then i plugged my 003 into the other port on my external hd.. I guess i better just try to get it in for repair before to much more time passes. I just hate to think of sending my baby in the mail.. Thanks for everyones input, any more is appreciated. The thing that doesnt make sense to me is that the link light is operating correctly, i would think it wouldnt if the firewire was damaged but i guess not.

-J

sw rec 03-09-2009 04:59 PM

Power down the 003 first, THEN unplug and/or plug in the firewire cable. Then power the 003 back up. Had more than one friend fry theirs the same way.

PROfyt 03-10-2009 10:42 AM

so i guess im screwed, i dont have the loot r/n to send it in for repairs.. Had to give potential clients moneys back and its left me broke. SW, how much did it cost your friends to get theirs repaired? Could u please give me an idea of how much im gonna have to pay to get my life back? Thanks for the correspondence!

-j