Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   I would like to see Tempo Randomization (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418729)

[email protected] 01-25-2022 11:27 AM

I would like to see Tempo Randomization

I think it would be cool to have a function that can randomize tempo, to give things a more human feel. Let's say we want a tempo of 80. Can tell protools to randomize it between 79-81, with other parameters to control maximum jump, frequency, etc. Especially with things like superior drummer and other virtual instruments, this could be useful. Or not.

massivekerry 01-25-2022 12:22 PM

Re: I would like to see Tempo Randomization

The problem with this idea, in practice, is that a lot of tempo-sync plugins (VIs and signal processing) currently suffer from major CPU spikes when they have to recalculate their playback or processing when you change tempos. This becomes far worse if you program a tempo "ramp" or jump around a lot in a short time period. It's not just Pro Tools. I have colleagues who have issues with it on Logic and Cubase as well. For reference, a lot of these are media-scoring composers, who either need to vary tempo to make video-specific hits (or conforming to a changed video) naturally. A lot of the NI-branded Kontakt instruments will freak out with a big tempo change (or many close together). Multiply that by however many tracks the operator is working with... it just becomes a math and processing problem. I don't know if Avid can add that feature on its own, especially with all of the different processors, platforms, plugins and configurations it has to support. For drums, I suggest just randomizing or swinging MIDI patterns if you want a more "natural" feel. Maybe change tempo in different "song" sections, or do a specific ramp for effect, but you have to be aware of the potential performance trade-offs.

Extreme Mixing 01-25-2022 08:45 PM

Also, you don't have to quantize to 100%. Try a smaller number. Or you could add a bit of swing. I don't see how a random shift of the tempo would be helpful at all. As a player you can push or pull the tempo. How would random help you out? I just don't see it being worth spending any time on this.

Steve

[email protected] 01-26-2022 03:44 AM

Thanks. I get all that. I’m very hip to quantize swing and tempo mapping. I’m just talking about incorporating real human feel which is that little back and forth we do. But good points made about instruments and plugins that follow tempo. Probably a brain drain.

noah330 01-26-2022 01:13 PM

Recently up I had to recreate a well known track for a film. They wanted the timing to be exactly the same as the original but didn’t want to pay the huge licensing fee for the original version.

I just made a tempo map from the original tune and recorded everything from that being the click. I’ll do the same thing if a live drum track is a little off.

Rich Breen 01-27-2022 07:29 AM

I believe you could achieve this by taking a straight 1/4 note click or midi track, 'randomize' it with the Quantize operations window, then use Beat Detective to build a tempo map based on this randomized 1/4 note track. Haven't done it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. OTOH, most people I know who are trying to 'humanize' tempo feel build click tracks that speed up and slow down according to the song structure - this makes more sense to me.