Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Newbie begging for help - MIDI between 2 DAWs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=68457)

ac1d te5t 11-13-2002 10:01 AM

Newbie begging for help - MIDI between 2 DAWs

Hi to all members of the DUC! I have just joined up, so I am a virgin DUCer! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I have been snooping for a while now, and have learnt a hell of a lot - many thanks to you all! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I successfully built and set up my PTLE DAW using the info you all kindly provided here at the DUC.

However, I have come across a problem that I haven't been able to successfully figure out on my own, and was wondering if someone may be able to offer a different perspective on it.

I have two DAWs - One running PTLE 5.3.1 / DIGI 001 on a DUC recommended spec system, and another running all of my other audio applications, but mainly used for running Reason. I have been playing instruments in Reason on the second DAW by using MIDI sequencing in PTLE from the first DAW. However, the timing of the instrument playback in Reason seems to be uneven and irregular if the same MIDI passage in PTLE is played repeatedly. This is a problem, as I am trying to write some drum tracks, and prefer to sequence MIDI in PTLE. The irregularity is only very slight, but enough to ruin a drum track. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I don't have all of my systems information at hand right now, but will be happy to get it and post up. My PTLE DAW only runs PTLE and only has one soundcard - the DIGI 001. I feed the MIDI from the 001 hardware into a Soundblaster Live on the second DAW for Reason to receive MIDI through. Reason plays back audio through an Emagic Audiowerk 8. The second DAW also contains an old soundblaster AWE 128 (ensoniq manufactured) for Reason to accept MIDI keyboard input from. I don't know if this could be a problem, but both machines are connected via ethernet (so far, I haven't noticed anything wrong, but I know DIGI don't recommend this).

I find it hard to believe that the problem lies with PTLE or the DIGI 001, but I can't be sure.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Please help... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

cheers.... and keep up the good work everyone! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

p.s. apologies for the length of this post. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

peace. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

ac1d te5t 11-14-2002 12:57 AM

Re: Newbie begging for help - MIDI between 2 DAWs

bump....

da BaSsTaRd! 11-14-2002 04:35 AM

since you have both computers on a lan, why not try midi over lan ( www.musiclab.com ). they have a demo and it works great. skip the cables altogether.

check out my reason/PT tutorial and where ever it says "hubi's loopback", just replace that with midi-over-lan for your setup.

ac1d te5t 11-14-2002 08:42 AM

Hi DaBasstard,

Duh, why didn't I think of that? That app has been mentioned on the DUC so many times... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Great idea, I'll give MidiOverLan a go.

I have been to the PT tips page on your website - I have found all of the articles really informative - I hope some more stuff gets added soon. Anyhow the tips page is a great idea - cheers DB! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This is a good solution, but I am still wondering why the midi sent from PTLE / Digi 001 from one machine is played back irregularily from the SB Live by Reason through the Audiowerk 8 though. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] maybe my midi cable is to blame...

Also, does anyone know why it is supposed to be so bad to use a NIC alongside PTLE / Digi 001 in a PC? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I'm guessing it's something to do with IRQ's, or something like that.

Thanks again DaB [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

peace