Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bug adjusting clip gain whilst playing causes hard crash (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412751)

Reckless Erik 11-18-2020 09:57 AM

Bug adjusting clip gain whilst playing causes hard crash

I have been plagued with a very frustrating bug and I wonder if it has been documented or if others here have come across it. It is repeatable (several times today).
The workflow is as follows:
Select a clip;
Start playing;
Highlight clip and adjust clip gain up or down with the horizontal tool (hold the click button down on the mouse).

After a short moment PT freezes and quits. Could I ask for anyone here to test this?

albee1952 11-18-2020 11:28 AM

Re: Bug adjusting clip gain whilst playing causes hard crash

No issues here on Windows:o

mgoorevich 11-18-2020 11:59 PM

Seems to be fine here on 10.13.6 and PT Ultimate 20.11

huub 11-22-2020 03:51 PM

I'm on 10.14.5 and ultimate 20.11.0.157 and no such behaviour.
Could be a corrupt session perhaps?

Huub

Arno Peeters 01-10-2022 07:48 AM

This is exactly what is bugging me, although I run into a beachball. Copied the session to AIFF, same issues. The source of my session was an OMF. I have the feeling it might have to do with that.

epm 01-10-2022 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arno Peeters (Post 2625052)
This is exactly what is bugging me, although I run into a beachball. Copied the session to AIFF, same issues. The source of my session was an OMF. I have the feeling it might have to do with that.

I get what might be this same issue you are having occasionally, adding clip FX during playback can cause the crash as well. I haven't been able to track down exactly what causes it, sometimes it's audio from an OMF, sometimes a transfer from soundminer.

Consolidating the "problem" clip, ALWAYS fixes it, but then i lose my handles, etc, etc.

Farhoof 01-11-2022 03:07 AM

Does it help to disable "Disk Cache" (set to Normal).
I don't think I have experienced this, although I never use the mouse to set clip gain, I mostly nudge with the mouse wheel (or set breakpoint with the mouse, but I don't use that little left bottom fader). I set clip fx during playback all the time though, never had any issues other than the first change is never applied, I have to press twice.

As a consolidate workaround, you can use the gain plugin, set it to individual files, clip by clip, and handles to 'whole file'. You'll keep everything you had, it just takes up more disk space.

Frank Kruse 01-11-2022 05:11 AM

I do this a hundred times every day. Also during play but never with the mouse. Wit and without disk cache. Always with ctrl-shift-up/down. Never had crashes. <neither on my rig nor on countless mix stages.
So maybe it's because of doing it with the mouse? That's the only thing that seems to be different...

Cheesehead 01-11-2022 10:33 AM

I was doing this all day today during playback, no crashes.
Control/shift and mouse wheel, not with the little clip fader, too fiddley.
I also use the dock wheel sometimes, works great too.

garret 01-11-2022 12:31 PM

Same as Frank. All day long with the keyboard adjustments, never the mouse. No crashes.