Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   ProjectMix line inputs -10? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=159609)

colt45 02-04-2006 08:56 AM

ProjectMix line inputs -10?

Seems the ProjectMix I/O line input sensitivity is -10, not +4. M-Audio confirmed this was a hardware issue they were aware of, and were working on a solution, but offered no insight to those who already have one with these IMHO useless line inputs.

sortasalient 02-04-2006 03:09 PM

Re: ProjectMix line inputs -10?

I just wanted to clarify. Are you talking about just the 1/4" line inputs or the XLR mic inputs as well?

colt45 02-04-2006 10:18 PM

The mix inputs are mic level, I'm talking about the line level inputs, they are -10dbV consumer level sesitivity, not +4dbu pro level. You cannot connect +4dbu sensitivity outputs, such as any pro mic pre, console direct out, etc., into them they will overload the inputs.

M-Audio confirmed this via phone, saying they are aware of the design flaw, and are in the process of correcting it. They also admitted this is a hardware issue, which means if you already own one, you best contact your dealer about returning it for one that is updated once they (M-Audio) releases the updated one. However you may be screwed, depending on how M-Audio chooses to handle this.

sortasalient 02-05-2006 12:45 AM

Quote:

The mix inputs are mic level...

Please pardon my ignorance about what you're saying, but with such an important issue, I'd rather look ignorant than be wrong. I'm not sure what you were referring to when you said the mix inputs. To my knowledge the only analog inputs on the projectmix are the line inputs and the mic inputs. Am I missing something?

This is what I think you're saying. The mic inputs are +4. The line inputs are SUPPOSED to be +4 too, but they aren't....they're -10. Is that right?

If for some reason M-audio doesn't replace your unit, would the ADAT I/O help to use your gear? I own a Yamaha 01v mixer and one of the first things I'm wanting to do with a projectmix is run that mixer into it via lightpipe to see how the yamaha mic pre's sound compared to the projectmix pre's. I know that's a workaround to use the ADAT I/O instead of the line inputs, and it sucks to have to think in that mindset but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.

Did M-audio give you any timeframe concerning when they'd be putting out revised hardware units?

Thanks for your help and patience....Dave

colt45 02-05-2006 08:03 AM

Sorry typo, that should be mic inputs are mic level. This issue is with the line inputs only.

The input sensitivity of the line inputs has nothing to do with the lightpipe connections.

M-Audio gave no timeframe for the fault to be corrected.

If you plan on using the line inputs regularly, for external mic pres, direct outs from consoles, etc., then I would recommend waiting until this is corrected, otherwise you will encounter connection sensitivity mimatches that will require pads between the +4 outputs and the MP -10 inputs, deteriorating the audio quality.

ReadyMixMusic 02-06-2006 04:44 PM

All of the mobile M-Powered interfaces have been saddled with unbalanced analogue line ins or outs. While I'd say it's a bit wierd, in this prosumer market, I wouldn't call it a design flaw. I think it's a cost choice M-Audio has decided to make. The Delta cards have balanced line in/out, so why skimp on +4?

It seems rediculous to me that you pay (list) $1600 for an interface/controller without balanced line inputs.

Paul

colt45 02-06-2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

All of the mobile M-Powered interfaces have been saddled with unbalanced analogue line ins or outs

The ProjectMix is balanced on both inputs and outputs. OUtputs are +4dbu, only the line inputs are -10dbV currently.

bradch00 02-08-2006 09:04 AM

So therefore the ProjectMIX I/O documentation incorrectly states;

53. Line Inputs (LINE INPUTS): Balanced line-level (+4 dBu) 1/4" analog inputs. These inputs are wired in parallel with their associated MIC INPUTS, and selected with the channel MIC/LINE switches (3).
To use the Line Input jack as the input source for a channel, the corresponding MIC/LINE switch (3) must be in the down position.

That is an interesting situation....

colt45 02-15-2006 06:01 AM

Yes that information is incorrect, the line inputs are -10, NOT +4, and M-Audio tech support confrimed that 2x via phone, as well as stating they are aware of this design flaw, are working on a solution, but declined to comment on what recourse current owners of ProjectMix units would have to modify.

We sent the unit we were checking out back, opting not to purchase it.

gsoul 02-15-2006 10:25 AM

colt45 (where02190) I still have not been able to recreate the -10 line input issue.