Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Is there a way to expand HD Omni to have 13 channels (7.2.4) for Dolby Atmos mixing? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416813)

Focuret 08-31-2021 10:42 AM

Is there a way to expand HD Omni to have 13 channels (7.2.4) for Dolby Atmos mixing?

Hey guys,

I have recently completed a 7.2.4 theater install in the room next to the stereo (2.1) studio. In the studio I'm running PT Ultimate with an HD Native Thunderbolt box and an HD Omni interface. The max inputs I need is one mic and one (maybe two?) guitars.

In the theater there's 13 total speakers for a 7.2.4 system powered by a Marantz amp and an Emotiva processor/receiver.

What would be the best cost effective way to leverage the HD Omni to have 13 channels for Atmos surround mixing? First time moving from stereo so I'm looking for advice and tips.

Thanks all

nst7 08-31-2021 12:06 PM

Re: Is there a way to expand HD Omni to have 13 channels (7.2.4) for Dolby Atmos mixi

Unfortunately the Omni is maxed out at 8 inputs, 8 outputs. You could jerry rig the headphone cue output (9-10) for an additional 2, but that won't really help much.

The MTRX Studio would be a better choice for this type of thing.

Focuret 08-31-2021 12:34 PM

Re: Is there a way to expand HD Omni to have 13 channels (7.2.4) for Dolby Atmos mixi

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2612164)
Unfortunately the Omni is maxed out at 8 inputs, 8 outputs. You could jerry rig the headphone cue output (9-10) for an additional 2, but that won't really help much.

The MTRX Studio would be a better choice for this type of thing.

I was going to go the Mtrx Studio route but wanted to know if there was a cheaper solution. Like maybe adding an old 192?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesehead 08-31-2021 01:35 PM

You can do it with an HD 8x8x8.
I was using it for 7.1.4 before I swapped it out for an MTRX Studio.
I suppose that means you could also use an old 192 the same way.
I used 8 AES and 4 analog outputs to get 7.1.4.

As long as your monitor controller allows you to split between digital and analogue inputs it will work.

Focuret 08-31-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesehead (Post 2612173)
You can do it with an HD 8x8x8.
I was using it for 7.1.4 before I swapped it out for an MTRX Studio.
I suppose that means you could also use an old 192 the same way.
I used 8 AES and 4 analog outputs to get 7.1.4.

As long as your monitor controller allows you to split between digital and analogue inputs it will work.

Ok, it's probably a good time for me to stop being stupid and finally ask: what exactly is a monitor controller and why do I need it? I keep hearing about them and have seen the costs but I keep putting off understanding its exact use for what I'm trying to do. Time I asked. lol

Can you explain like I'm 5 what they are, what Dadmon is and what not?

Mark Ziebarth 09-01-2021 12:44 AM

A monitor controller controls the volume of your speakers aka monitors. If you’re monitoring stereo that’s easy and each and every monitor controller is capable of that. If you’re monitor path is wider like 5.1 or 7.2.4 the controller has to be able to control the complete path. DADman can do this if you’re using an MTRX interface. It can even be EuCon controlled via a hardware encoder provided on the Dock and other EuCon devices.
The Omni is the most limited interface of the professional Avid interfaces of the last twenty years. They allowed only eight in- and outputs simultaneously although the interface has more. A 192 has 16 in- and outputs simultaneously even though you have a lot more physical connections available. It was a philosophy of shortage like with the limited track count.
I hope this helps.

Best

Mark

JFreak 09-01-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focuret (Post 2612156)
there's 13 total speakers

... so how do you want to use it with 8 outputs?

Focuret 09-01-2021 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2612206)
... so how do you want to use it with 8 outputs?

That's what I was asking: would adding a Digi 192 or something to expand the number of outputs to 13 or above just easily work and be cheaper than getting a Mtrx Studio

JFreak 09-01-2021 01:47 AM

192 has at lesst 8 analog outputs, unless it is the special 192digital version without anything analog

Focuret 09-01-2021 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth (Post 2612205)
A monitor controller controls the volume of your speakers aka monitors. If you’re monitoring stereo that’s easy and each and every monitor controller is capable of that. If you’re monitor path is wider like 5.1 or 7.2.4 the controller has to be able to control the complete path. DADman can do this if you’re using an MTRX interface. It can even be EuCon controlled via a hardware encoder provided on the Dock and other EuCon devices.
The Omni is the most limited interface of the professional Avid interfaces of the last twenty years. They allowed only eight in- and outputs simultaneously although the interface has more. A 192 has 16 in- and outputs simultaneously even though you have a lot more physical connections available. It was a philosophy of shortage like with the limited track count.
I hope this helps.

Best

Mark

This does indeed help and finally makes sense. Thank you! So it is looking like one way or the other the Mtrx Studio with a monitor controller is what I'll need. I have an Avid Artist Control and Mix plus the iPad app. Could one of those be used as a controller or would I need this: https://vintageking.com/digital-audi...erating-module