Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Question about tracking with channel strip plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416008)

taylor4814 07-01-2021 03:52 AM

Question about tracking with channel strip plug-ins

Suddenly confused about channel strip / console emulation plug-in inserts...

Generally speaking, if you were tracking live instruments on a large format console, to tape, doesn't the "sound" of the console get recorded to tape during tracking... isn't it in the signal path?

And to imitate that with a console emulation / channel strip plug-in, I would need to have it inserted on an Aux Input track, bussed to an Audio track, to have that sound recorded during tracking — isn't that correct?

megatracks 07-01-2021 04:11 AM

Re: Question about tracking with channel strip plug-ins

Yep

Avid S6M40-32-5D, MTRX (2), Barefoot MM26, PT Ultimate HDX3, CB TMC1 S6 Penta

albee1952 07-01-2021 08:20 AM

While that may be technically correct, in the real world, does it matter? Also, a lot of analog recording was done with the mic pre going directly to tape. My 2 cents; I have tried placing tape sim plugins first, then EQ/Comp/Console emulation, and I have also tried with the tape sim after. In either case, things sound fine(not sure I can hear any change) and at the end of the day, if it sounds good, it IS good:D(in other words, don't over-think it. Just try everything to find what works for you);)

"And to imitate that with a console emulation / channel strip plug-in, I would need to have it inserted on an Aux Input track, bussed to an Audio track, to have that sound recorded during tracking — isn't that correct?"
This is a perfect example of over-thinking it. Let's assume you have a tape sim plugin and a channel strip/console plugin. To achieve the "traditional" sound, insert the channel strip, followed by the tape sim, followed by a second channel strip. Now you have duplicated the "traditional" path. Remember one of the great things about DAW's is that you don't NEED to "bake in" stuff while tracking as it can all be accomplished "after the fact".

Ben Jenssen 07-01-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megatracks (Post 2606372)
Yep

Not necessarily. Back when I had a console with tape machines and other types of recorders, I would track most stuff thru the desk. But that was mainly because that's where I had mic pre's. And I would mostly run thru the channels flat or bypassed. If I did any processing it would be perhaps a HPF or a little compression to get a powerful signal to tape.

But that was then. With digital/DAWs there are simply no good reasons to make processing decisions when recording. You get the best sound you can with mic choice/position/pre so you have the purest raw material to work with later on in the process. IMHO.

So, the aux - audio recording thing is a waste of time. I think.

Cheesehead 07-02-2021 02:02 PM

When I first started recording we only had one really good compressor in the studio and used the pre amps in the desk to track to tape with compression inserted and eq'd to taste.
I still think it's a valid way of working now too.
Why not make some decisions about the sound you want early and then print that to digital as we did to tape?

Ben Jenssen 07-02-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesehead (Post 2606644)
Why not make some decisions about the sound you want early and then print that to digital as we did to tape?

Well, simply because they can't be undone.
Added: but whatever floats your boat.

albee1952 07-05-2021 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesehead (Post 2606644)
When I first started recording we only had one really good compressor in the studio and used the pre amps in the desk to track to tape with compression inserted and eq'd to taste.
I still think it's a valid way of working now too.

You are free to do just this if you like, but why limit yourself with the "old" ways?