Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Edit/Mix window bank to selected layout? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411841)

JR Fountain 09-11-2020 08:23 AM

Edit/Mix window bank to selected layout?

Curious if anyone knows a way to bank the edit/mix window to the faders of a selected EUCON layout? Currently my workflow is to select the layout on the Dock and then ctrl-shift select the first track on my S3 to scroll the faders into view in the edit window. It'd be great if all I had to do was select the layout for that to happen.

FYI, I have Edit and Mix windows follow bank selection selected in my prefs.

Thx!
J.R.

Ryan Young 09-15-2020 05:17 PM

Re: Edit/Mix window bank to selected layout?

It's bad to assume your layout is even in the same order that it'd show up on your edit or mix window. I think this is why it's not a function.

Lynn Gräber 09-15-2020 06:32 PM

Ryan is right. Most people use layouts to "cherry pick" tracks from all over a sessions. Banking would be impossible.

Perhaps you should be looking at VCA spill instead?

JR Fountain 09-16-2020 02:47 PM

Good point Ryan, I hadn't considered that since I'm not using them that way. I just see the highlights around my tracks the same way as I would if I were to bank them and assumed that the edit/mix window would follow.

Lynn, I do use VCA's as well but liked layouts better because they retained the track colours and I liked instantly selecting them from the Dock instead of spilling/unspilling/spilling to change groups.

Thx!

Lynn Gräber 09-16-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR Fountain (Post 2578003)
Good point Ryan, I hadn't considered that since I'm not using them that way. I just see the highlights around my tracks the same way as I would if I were to bank them and assumed that the edit/mix window would follow.

Lynn, I do use VCA's as well but liked layouts better because they retained the track colours and I liked instantly selecting them from the Dock instead of spilling/unspilling/spilling to change groups.

Thx!

You can spill a VCA with one touch from AC as well. There is a preference in Eucon to enable this. You can also go from one VCA spill to the next without having to unspill the previous. I am not sure why your track colors are not retained during a VCA spill. Mine are.

JR Fountain 09-16-2020 06:16 PM

Thanks Lynn, I'll check that preference. I've always spilled the VCA's from the S3 by double clicking the select button.

The track colours might be an S3 thing, whenever I unspill a VCA it turns them green, I'm assuming to indicate that you have a VCA spilt.

Lynn Gräber 09-16-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR Fountain (Post 2578018)
Thanks Lynn, I'll check that preference. I've always spilled the VCA's from the S3 by double clicking the select button.

The track colours might be an S3 thing, whenever I unspill a VCA it turns them green, I'm assuming to indicate that you have a VCA spilt.

Ah, youre right. The little chicklets turn green during a spill. Us S1 people have the advantage of the color meter display. The things you dont notice til you look. :eek: