Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Need help formatting dedicated audio drive (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=72342)

MadeByNick 03-04-2003 11:30 PM

Need help formatting dedicated audio drive

I'm running Windows XP Pro. I have everything on an IBM Deskstar 60GB GPX and I only have been using about half of it to be honest. I recently acquired a new Maxtor 40GB hard drive that I've been using recently as a backup for my 60GB. I had the idea that I wanted to:

1)Format the 40GB & use it as my new system disk

2)Back up precious data from my 60GB onto the 40GB (new system disk)

3)And then format my 60GB and use it as a dedicated audio drive for my Digi 002

Well windows won't let me format, or even partition my 40GB. I think it has somethign to do with the paging file. Windows keeps saying that I cannot format because the disk contains a paging file. The only thing is, I can't seem to remedy the situation.

I took a screen shot you can view here. Any ideas? I've looked up just about every single query string on google & windows help, but still nothing of use.

Disk Management Screenshot

Rail Jon Rogut 03-04-2003 11:39 PM

Re: Need help formatting dedicated audio drive

Shouldn't you use the Maxtor MaxBlast software to format and partition your drive.. it don't care about any stinking paging files.

Rail

MadeByNick 03-04-2003 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rail Jon Rogut:
Shouldn't you use the Maxtor MaxBlast software to format and partition your drive..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Theoretically, that might work... If I had a working A: drive

MaxBlast installs itself onto a floppy disk in your A: drive & then you go on from there. But that's not an option for me

Rail Jon Rogut 03-05-2003 01:07 AM

Right click on My Computer and select Properties and then the Advanced tab and push the button for "Performance Settings" and then the Advanced tab. Then push the "Virtual Memory" Change button.

Select the drive (F) that you want to format and change the setting to "No paging file" push the Set button and then OK your way out and restart.

Try to format the drive.

Rail

Stone Knife 03-05-2003 01:26 AM

...and before you close out that window, select the C drive and set it to have a paging file, if there isn't one set for that drive yet...

Windows wants to have a paging file someplace.

da BaSsTaRd! 03-05-2003 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stone Knife:
Windows wants to have a paging file someplace.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you have 512 mb of ram or more, you can dump the page file altogether if you want.

Rail Jon Rogut 03-05-2003 01:36 PM

You'll need to use the Maxtor utility I think... buy a floppy drive for the $10 they probably cost.

Rail

MadeByNick 03-05-2003 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rail Jon Rogut:
You'll need to use the Maxtor utility I think... buy a floppy drive for the $10 they probably cost.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not that i don't have a drive. it's that my system doesn't think there are enough resources for one. I've tried installing / swapping out new ones. but that's a completely different can of worms

kCmCg 03-05-2003 02:48 PM

Why dont you just install windows on the new 40gig...then use the 60 as a slave. Copy the things you want then reformat the 60 if nessecary...

Rail Jon Rogut 03-05-2003 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MadeByNick:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Rail Jon Rogut:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not that i don't have a drive. it's that my system doesn't think there are enough resources for one. I've tried installing / swapping out new ones. but that's a completely different can of worms <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please clarify this statement... Do you mean you run out of IRQ's... or how is this manifested in Windows as an error?

Rail