Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Long (LOOOOOOONG) delay when starting recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=68775)

yonkiman 11-25-2002 09:09 PM

Long (LOOOOOOONG) delay when starting recording

I've searched the forum but can't find anyone else with this problem, which usually means it's either so simple that even an idiot can fix it himself, or no one else has ever had this problem. (In this case I'm hoping I'm an idiot.)

All of the sudden it takes MINUTES between when I hit record and when PT actually starts recording. The hard disk just thrashes for minutes, then recording starts and works fine. This is a real problem for me, since I'm not a 1 take musician/singer (more like 1 thousand takes).

Info:

WinXP, PT5.3.1, 800MHz PIII

It's not hard disk fragmentation - I defragged and had the same problem. Also once it works - no problems, even with a 128byte buffer and lots of tracks. So I've ruled out disk fragmentation.

It used to work, but I didn't use PT for months, meanwhile I was installing software, updating XP, etc - so I can't point to one thing I did that brought the problem on.

Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Fred

J. FO 11-25-2002 09:12 PM

Re: Long (LOOOOOOONG) delay when starting recording

does it only happen when you are trying to record? or does it also happen during playback? how much memory do you have? it usually helps me to use a program i have to free up some extra memory that is not being used.

stut5 11-25-2002 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by yonkiman:
I've searched the forum but can't find anyone else with this problem, which usually means it's either so simple that even an idiot can fix it himself, or no one else has ever had this problem. (In this case I'm hoping I'm an idiot.)

All of the sudden it takes MINUTES between when I hit record and when PT actually starts recording. The hard disk just thrashes for minutes, then recording starts and works fine. This is a real problem for me, since I'm not a 1 take musician/singer (more like 1 thousand takes).

Info:

WinXP, PT5.3.1, 800MHz PIII

It's not hard disk fragmentation - I defragged and had the same problem. Also once it works - no problems, even with a 128byte buffer and lots of tracks. So I've ruled out disk fragmentation.

It used to work, but I didn't use PT for months, meanwhile I was installing software, updating XP, etc - so I can't point to one thing I did that brought the problem on.

Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Fred

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't mean to make you nervous but right before my HD died it was doing stuff like that.Stu

Rail Jon Rogut 11-25-2002 09:40 PM

Check out my answers in this thread.
Rail

yonkiman 11-26-2002 12:27 AM

Thanks, Rail - that was it! Response is a (relatively) much snappier few seconds vs. about 1 to 3 minutes!

Thanks also to everyone else who responded - what a great group of people!

-Fred