Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Destructive Punch File Length (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420350)

reichman 05-25-2022 02:56 PM

Destructive Punch File Length

Why is Destructive Punch File Length in preferences, which are global, when the length is session-specific? It should be in Session Setup. Am I right?

smurfyou 05-25-2022 07:06 PM

Re: Destructive Punch File Length

Yes it should be per session. Or maybe just smartly calculated for your selection and not have to set it each time!

But it's always been in global Prefs right?

reichman 05-25-2022 07:35 PM

It's always been in global prefs, but it appears to be stored in the open PTX file, because it will change based on what session was loaded, and what length was last saved with that session. So by definition, it's not a pref right now and never was.

Obviously, this is not a serious issue, but it would be mentally clearer if it was set in Session Setup.

inf0l 05-25-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2637953)
Yes it should be per session. Or maybe just smartly calculated for your selection and not have to set it each time!

But it's always been in global Prefs right?

Or based on the video reference track; I never use DP as most of our shows are in multiple parts..

Farhoof 05-26-2022 04:48 AM

The PT preferences are not by definition global. A good bunch of them is actually session bound, but there is no indication whatsoever which ones are and which ones are not.
Afaik the DP length is indeed session bound and not global.

There's an article about it, highlighting the local preferences.
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...tween-sessions

its2loud 05-26-2022 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reichman (Post 2637942)
Why is Destructive Punch File Length in preferences, which are global, when the length is session-specific? It should be in Session Setup. Am I right?

Because your DP file length might change within a session (super session w multiple reels). Having the DP length in the session setup doesn’t make sense. You’re not changing the sample rate or bit depth or frame rate (usually) mid session, which are all in the session setup window. All features related to how the session is initially setup. Meaning, usually set it and forget it.

smurfyou 05-26-2022 07:31 AM

But what possible reason exists for this setting in the year 2022?

I get the original reasoning behind it. I always thought it was stupid but I got it. But we’re not manually allocating finite spinning disk storage anymore. Why can’t this be dynamic and automatic?

its2loud 05-26-2022 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2637991)
But what possible reason exists for this setting in the year 2022?

I get the original reasoning behind it. I always thought it was stupid but I got it. But we’re not manually allocating finite spinning disk storage anymore. Why can’t this be dynamic and automatic?

I think there might be a misunderstanding of what DP file length means and does in Pro Tools.

It’s still pretty common place on dub stages to use DP mode on stem recorders. I agree, the process could be streamlined to just accept a timeline selection as your DP length but perhaps that’s a feature to look forward too.

smurfyou 05-26-2022 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2637992)
I think there might be a misunderstanding of what DP file length means and does in Pro Tools.

It’s still pretty common place on dub stages to use DP mode on stem recorders. I agree, the process could be streamlined to just accept a timeline selection as your DP length but perhaps that’s a feature to look forward too.

Yes I'm very familiar with it. A selection would be ideal for separate reels like you mentioned or long form shows broken into segments.

In my head I'm thinking you could designate certain regions/selections as DPE on demand. They would be set and marked as such and remembered per session. It would just be easier and cleaner.

reichman 05-27-2022 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2638019)
Yes I'm very familiar with it. A selection would be ideal for separate reels like you mentioned or long form shows broken into segments.

In my head I'm thinking you could designate certain regions/selections as DPE on demand. They would be set and marked as such and remembered per session. It would just be easier and cleaner.

Woah! Discontiguous destructive punch zones? My head is spinning. Cool idea. DP stem recording (even on single system mixes) is still an essential part of my workflow.

Farhoof, I completely missed that PTE article. I had no idea there were that many 'local' PT prefs compared to 'global.' So many of those are the same among my sessions that I never noticed they were traveling with the session. Interesting.