Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Cheapest Upgrade Path for Improved PT LE 8 Recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=359715)

Fezzler 10-17-2014 12:38 PM

Cheapest Upgrade Path for Improved PT LE 8 Recording

Up front, I will confess I fear professional recording engineers and enthusiasts will hate this post. But I am a home hobbyist, so be mindful of that.

I have the Eleven Rack with expansion pack. I use Pro Tools LE 8.05 on a Win7 Home Premium PC, 32-bit.

My computer is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, DC 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz front side bus, Socket 775, Intel 945G Chipset, Asus Micro ATX Motherboard (Leonite-GL8e).

I have 4gb RAM on mobo; C-drive: SATA 250gig 5400rpm; E-drive: SATA 250gig 5400rp; L-drive 7200rpm firewire 800 for recording. Separate graphics card with 2gig memory.

I have made all of the recommended optimizations for Pro Tools LE 8.05 (or most). Most of my settings are defaults in Pro Tools. I adjust buffers as needed when recording vs mixing.

I'm happy with PTLE 8. I may upgrade both my computer and PT someday, but right now LE is fine and money is tight.

Given my satisfaction with LE and use of the 11R and firewire drive, what are some options for perhaps improving my LE performance on the cheap side? For example - will converting my C: drive to SSD make a difference? Get a "new" used PC or even a Mac (laptop or Mini)? New used pc, what is my most affordable option?

What would you do, beyond saving for PT and computer complete upgrade?

If this is totally ridiculous path, let me know. But, if I'm happy with LE, why not leverage the improved performance and lower cost of used technology for another 18-24 months?

What am I trying to solve for? PT LE hangs sometimes after a track is printed; or some heavy editing; or switching back and forth from 11R setting; or using VSTi like Boom or Structure or Xpand. So I am assuming a little more horsepower will eliminate that inconvenience and workflow.

mjslakeridge 10-17-2014 02:00 PM

Re: Cheapest Upgrade Path for Improved PT LE 8 Recording

What is your CPU utilization when running a session with lots of tracks and plugins? I was using a Core2Duo e-4400 with LE up until a year or so ago with no problems. I would guess the problems with the VI's may be due to the speed of your C and E drives-only 5,400 rpms. With SSD prices really dropping, you may consider getting one for your operating system and sample libraries. I think many on the forum recommend Samsung 840 Pro SSD's.

Fezzler 10-17-2014 02:58 PM

Now that you mention it, I have been getting messages that CPU use is high. Once, PT didn't freeze but I couldn't play back even if I adjusted buffers. I use mostly PT plugins with some Steven Slate console emulators and mix bus emulations. On the track I couldn't play back, it was only like 8 tracks, mix of midi and audio.

Are you good at reading Sandra reports?

mesaone 10-17-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fezzler (Post 2194473)
Up front, I will confess I fear professional recording engineers and enthusiasts will hate this post. But I am a home hobbyist, so be mindful of that.

Grrrrrrr

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fezzler (Post 2194473)
I have the Eleven Rack with expansion pack. I use Pro Tools LE 8.05 on a Win7 Home Premium PC, 32-bit.

Go with a 64-bit OS and pack in more RAM. As far as I know, your license key for Windows 7 will work for the 64 bit version. That brings up the question of whether an upgrade to 64 bit would be worthwhile, or are there other limiting factors that would render that upgrade moot, like fewer DIMM slots than needed, etc. I'm not qualified to speak on this particular matter.

Yes, it would help if you replaced your C: drive with a faster HDD (7200 RPM) or a SSD. This will show improvement across the board, not just with Pro Tools.

Beyond that, I think attempting to squeeze any more power out of what you have is a game of diminishing returns. Be mindful that the cost of computers is pretty low, all things considered... The "Silverbox" computer in my signature cost $950, not including the $200 in hard drive upgrades I performed after purchase.

Fezzler 10-17-2014 09:53 PM

You are right I suppose. I didn't know if an old Mac mini or post-Core Duo PC would fit the bill.

I just rechecked my Sandra Report, all hard drives are 7200rpm already.

I guess I'll make do until I'm ready for new pc and PT upgrade.

When I do go new I was eyeballing the Sweetwater Creation Station series. Or going Mac.

mesaone 10-17-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fezzler (Post 2194617)
When I do go new I was eyeballing the Sweetwater Creation Station series. Or going Mac.

If you end up buying a pre-built PC with Pro Tools in mind, check out http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/

zedhed 10-18-2014 12:36 AM

I agree the best option is to sit tight until you can afford a complete overhaul upgrade otherwise you're wasting money IMHO.

albee1952 10-18-2014 09:28 AM

2 more cents:o With a socket 775, you could likely find a used quad core cpu for dirt money. That plus Win7 64 bit and doubling the RAM might give the old beast a bit more grunt. There are 2 issues to consider. 1-each newer version of PT seems to need more horsepower, and 2-NONE of your current plugins will work in PT11 unless they have AAX 64 bit versions available(which MOST do, but you may need to pay some to get these updated versions). After that, since you have a working setup now, I would remove your system drive and install a fresh drive, and load everything from scratch. Starting with a "clean slate" is the best way to do a major upgrade:D Good luck with whatever you decide to do:o

Fezzler 10-18-2014 09:30 PM

Will my mobo CPU socket take a QC?

albee1952 10-19-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fezzler (Post 2194962)
Will my mobo CPU socket take a QC?

Check with the mobo manufacturer website(we don't know what you have:o). Bear in mind it might also require a BIOS update(not a huge deal if you are going to reload Windows anyway).