Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Pro Tools with Apollo 8 Duo word clock question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394237)

Isadore 10-09-2017 07:48 AM

Pro Tools with Apollo 8 Duo word clock question

I'm running PT 12.5.2 with an Apollo 8 Duo 8.6.1 interface and wondered if an external word clock would be beneficial. My outboard gear is a 2 channel Millennia Mic pre and a Lexicon PCM 90 Reverb. Both are connected with XLR cables to the interface. I am also using the virtual PT console instead of the Apollo 8 virtual console and a Mac Mini (if any of that matters)
The Apollo 8 is suppose to have an excellent word clock by itself.
thanks for your suggestions

Darryl Ramm 10-09-2017 09:41 AM

Re: Pro Tools with Aplollo 8 duo word clock question

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huzzam 10-09-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2453080)
No.

;) agreed.

OP, is there some specific issue you're having that you hope an external clock would solve? because the UA clocks are, as you said, quite good already.

Drew Mazurek 10-09-2017 10:49 AM

Spend your money on something meaningful.

Isadore 10-10-2017 04:17 AM

Re: Pro Tools with Apollo 8 Duo word clock question

No issues, someone just suggested I get a word clock. I didn't really see a need either.
But thanks for all the input.

Darryl Ramm 10-10-2017 08:38 AM

Now you know you can ignore any advice they give you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan IceWood 10-10-2017 12:14 PM

Most modern interface clocks function at their best when working on the internal system. Only when you start using multiple interfaces does external clocking become a real consideration.

That said, different external clocks and their interaction with the host interface PPL will exhibit a DIFFERENT sound.
Depending on the shape of your ears, room setup and SPEAKERS some of these external clock options to a single interface might sound better TO YOU in YOUR ROOM.

This the reason I can't stand the point blank response of many over this question ( and I don't mean the people in the previous posts as I se those more as time saving answers - in the best interest of the OP. )
Is that not one of us has was he others ear/brain combination.
Over the internet is very likely that most to none of us are working on the same system monitors in the exact same shape and dimension room.

There is no reason not to try one for yourself to see if you like or dislike it, BUT is it something that you NEED to think or worry about..........NO