Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Can I go Guitar>Pedals>DI XLR out to Eleven Rack? (using Mic input for guitar) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=313467)

electricfiddle 12-11-2011 10:50 AM

Can I go Guitar>Pedals>DI XLR out to Eleven Rack? (using Mic input for guitar)

I am thinking about building 2 pedalboards... One with essentials with a Radial JDV at the END, and one with the Eleven Rack with tons of Effects in the Loop.
It would be really easy for me if I could go Guitar>pedalboard>Radial JDV XLR out to Eleven Rack mic input. That would connect the Eleven Rack via Mic input and make life easy. Would there be in any positives or negatives to doing it that way?

Thanks

nst7 12-11-2011 03:46 PM

Re: Can I go Guitar>Pedals>DI XLR out to Eleven Rack? (using Mic input for guitar)

That should work, it sounds like you would be using the 11R guitar input for one sound and the mic input for another. If that's the case, how would you switch between them in a live setting? Meaning, how would you switch the rig input on the 11R to alternate from the guitar input to the mic input?

electricfiddle 12-11-2011 04:53 PM

Re: Can I go Guitar>Pedals>DI XLR out to Eleven Rack? (using Mic input for guitar)

Thanks for the response you are not understanding me correctly.

I am thinking about building 2 pedalboards... ONE smaller pedalboard with essentials with a Radial JDV at the end GOING TO XLR IN OF THE ELEVEN RACK, and ANOTHER PEDALBOARD with the Eleven Rack with tons of Effects in the Loop.
NOTE: This would be easy for me because I could leave the pedalbaord with the eleven rack and effects loop at home, while taking the smaller board with me for small gigs with the radial jdv.
It would be really easy for me if I could go Guitar>small pedalboard>Radial JDV XLR out to Eleven Rack mic input. That would connect the Eleven Rack via Mic input and make life easy. Would there be in any positives or negatives to doing it that way?
I am not using both guitar input and mic at the same time.

nst7 12-11-2011 08:13 PM

Okay, I understand better, but not completely.

You can use the Radial JDV into the mic input, that's not a problem. But why can't you go from that pedalboard directly into the guitar input on the Eleven Rack, just like with the other pedalboard?

Is there some specific reason you need the JDV in the chain, perhaps a particular sound quality it brings?

electricfiddle 12-11-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 1877009)
Okay, I understand better, but not completely.

You can use the Radial JDV into the mic input, that's not a problem. But why can't you go from that pedalboard directly into the guitar input on the Eleven Rack, just like with the other pedalboard?

Is there some specific reason you need the JDV in the chain, perhaps a particular sound quality it brings?

I do like the clarity the JDV Brings, like taking a blanket off your tone. So my thoughts were, why not run out of that into the Mic Input... Xlr would in theory be better anyways than 1/4". I run a VERY hot signal out from my Radial DI. Sounds guys say it's near line level. I have all kinds of SDD-3000 preamps and boosters on my pedals. So I hope the XLR in of the 11r will take it well. :)

Just trying to get some ideas as to pros and cons of doing it this way before I commit to the time and expense of rewiring everything.

nst7 12-12-2011 06:57 AM

This makes more sense now. Glad to hear the JDV is giving you a noticeable sound improvement. Radial makes good stuff.