Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Is there a way to NEVER import i/o from a session AGAIN? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421168)

The Mink 08-03-2022 02:33 PM

Is there a way to NEVER import i/o from a session AGAIN?

After 25 years of using PT, I still have yet to see ONE instance where I want to see a client's I/O in a session when I open it up for the first time. Where I say 'wow, I'm so glad I have some insight into the way they name their outputs on gear that I don't have!'

Is it possible to just automatically force my I/O on every session I import for the rest of my life?

sw rec 08-03-2022 07:10 PM

Re: Is there a way to NEVER import i/o from a session AGAIN?

Following!

brianjanthony 08-03-2022 07:41 PM

Come on. Who doesn't like seeing 400 extra bus submenus pop up in a tidy session. :-)

As someone who opens other people's stuff all day... And I'm writing this for anyone it might help... the worst is just plain opening their session. That corrupts your IO straight away.

I try to start the process with opening one of my template sessions, and making sure all is cool. (Every few months I will save the IO/busses etc as a waypoint too). THEN I create a new session. Then I import session data from their session. And make sure to click off all their IO, Aux etc. That strips it out pretty much. It never totally helps, but it gets closer.

simonchase 08-03-2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianjanthony (Post 2643635)
Come on. Who doesn't like seeing 400 extra bus submenus pop up in a tidy session. :-).

Just a "Clear unused paths" button would be a start.

andrealc 08-03-2022 11:19 PM

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/image...ons/89x89?v=v2

Rich Breen 08-04-2022 08:36 AM

Personally it's about 50/50 - there are times when I want to see what they had going before me, and times when I don't care. That said, I have a Keyboard Maestro script that steps through all the I/O tabs, deletes everything and then pulls in my I/O setup of choice. Takes about 10 seconds - very handy. If I were doing it today I'd probably do it in Soundflow, but KM works just fine.

albee1952 08-05-2022 08:42 AM

This irks me as well, but Rich and Brian offered 2 excellent solutions that I will be using in the future. I grew to accept it and deal with it after 10+ years and I'm with Simon, but maybe it should be called "clear unavailable paths":o

off the wall 08-05-2022 09:00 AM

I've always considered the PT I/O naming a virus. It's infuriating how a single session can spread bus names over an entire facility.

We used to have a policy to NEVER use anything other than the default settings. Now that we're dealing with multiple MTRX and MTRX Studios, Dante cues and I/O's, etc it's a necessary evil and usually a mess.

The Weed 08-05-2022 09:25 AM

I thought it was possible to Export and Import I/O settings. Did this change?

BScout 08-05-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 2643738)
I thought it was possible to Export and Import I/O settings. Did this change?

You can do that. I import from my last session (vs an exported IO setup)
Also, when you get the pop-up window about the i/o being changed (before the session opens to the edit/mix window) its good to look at the i/o from that pop up button at the bottom, wipe everything in there, import your system i/o, then when you hit ok, it continues opening to the mix/edit windows but now set to your room. Since at that point, it is in at a stage where the i/o is changed but not used yet, you can do that easily. Once it opens to the mix/edit, the i/o is in use and wiping out the i/o also means resetting the i/o on the tracks in the session. Doing it before when you get that warning, means your naming carries into the session when it goes to fully opening.