Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418378)

spinsong 01-04-2022 07:05 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
It’s confusing. The new offer was without a parachute, but an ultimate subscription instead. Which amounts to 799.00 instead of 599.00 for a perpetual.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alhardy 01-05-2022 05:33 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by abc1mce2 (Post 2624507)
My understanding was when it's time to renew your Carbon Pro Tools Standard license (subscription) you would be purchasing the support plan renewal and not the subscription plan. Is this correct or not? I also would like to know if the end user is given a 30 days grace period to renew the Carbon Pro Tools Standard subscription as the current Pro Tools Ultimate / Standard license holders are afforded?

These are also my questions, Thanks Mark

PS: I confirm my PT standard expired today and the parachute didn't work.

trimix 01-06-2022 10:25 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCorbin (Post 2624490)
Hey all, I'll reply back with more detail once I am back in the office, but lemme TRY to quell some of the confusion...

The parachute, as one of you stated earlier, did not deploy. There is a bug logged and IT is working on it.

For now, ALL of you should have PT Ultimate Perp in your Products Not Downloaded section of your My Avid account.

Once the parachute is patched... you will have the option to renew the parachute Subscription OR let it stay in a Perpetual license state. While it is perpetual, you currently will have the option to renew the subscription at any point in time.

Also, since you all received a Perpetual Ultimate license, you will also have the option to renew the Support contract to continue receiving software updates, plugins and support.

I'll be back in the office tomorrow, so let me know any specific questions you have and I'll try to address them.

Mark


Got my ticket response this morning;

"Current Response:

Entered on: 1/6/2022 4:21 AM Entered by: XXXX

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting Avid Support.

Please log in to account.avid.com then go to "Products Not Yet Downloaded" under My Products to get your Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual license.


Regards,
XXXX
Avid Global Customer Care"

Yeah, I know about what was supposed to be the additional Ultimate Perpetual license, but unless I misunderstood the wordsmithing of that offer, the original vanilla subscription was supposed to become a perpetual as well. Hopefully, that response just left out the "For now," from the response above.

MCorbin 01-06-2022 04:07 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Baaack!

Let's start with the simple part... you ALL currently have a Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual license in your Products Not Downloaded.

It is a normal perpetual license with a year of support & upgrades.

Once the year of support & upgrades lapses, you can choose to continue the contract to continue receiving updates & support.

The Pro Tools Subscription portion is new, and is currently not functioning as expected.

It is what we have been calling a Perpetual Parachute and it is intended to ALWAYS leave you with a Pro Tools license so you can always use your Carbon.

Once the Pro Tools Subscription expires, it is supposed to turn into a Perpetual license. This is not working correctly and we are actively trying to get it fixed.

Once it lapses into a Perpetual license, you can obviously continue to use PT, but you will be missing the goodies (updates, plugins, Heat, support etc) that came with the Subscription.

You can renew the Subscription at any time to flip the Perpetual back to a Subscription. There is not a grace period, you can currently renew the day after it lapses or a year later with no penalty.You can do this from MyAvid OR from a reseller... I do not think these are working correctly at the moment either. I have additional calls on this topic today and again on Monday to understand why.

I hope this helps... we're working hard to get the licensing all sorted for you all.

I'll let you know mor eonce I know more!

m

abc1mce2 01-06-2022 05:08 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
We appreciate you Mark.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

alhardy 01-07-2022 04:38 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCorbin (Post 2624714)

You can renew the Subscription at any time to flip the Perpetual back to a Subscription. There is not a grace period, you can currently renew the day after it lapses or a year later with no penalty.

m

Thank you Mark, the Ultimate licence is cool.

But I am even more confused on what to buy when renewing.
There are several available options:

1) Update & Support Plan Renewal (For owners of a perpetual license with valid update & support plan

2) Reinstate licence (For owners of a perpetual licence without a valid update plan

3) Crossgrade from a permanent license with an expired Update & Support Plan to the current Pro Tools version

4) Annual Licence Renewal (For owners of a valid Pro Tools annual licence)


Thanks for sorting this out.

MCorbin 01-07-2022 11:23 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Alberto

You will eventually have two license to renew... The original PT Subscription and the bonus PT Ult Perpetual license. It's your choice to renew one, both, or none... but hopefully not none!

So the items you listed above would be for the PT Ult Perpetual license. You would most likely choose the "Update & Support Plan Renewal"

The PT Subscription would just be a Subscription renewal. You will be able to get there from your MyAvid page by selecting the "Buy Again" button to the left of the expired PT Subscription.

Do not do it now... it will take you to the incorrect place.

I'm hoping to have this all fixed next week. Please continue to let me know if you have questions, and I'll let ya'll know once this train is pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for ALL of your patience and understanding.

m

alhardy 01-07-2022 12:14 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCorbin (Post 2624810)
Alberto

So the items you listed above would be for the PT Ult Perpetual license. You would most likely choose the "Update & Support Plan Renewal"

The PT Subscription would just be a Subscription renewal.
m

Thanks Mark, Is this valid before the update and support plan expires, after it expired, or in both cases?


PS: Actually those options apply to both Ultimate AND standard, since it will (eventually) convert to perpetual if you let it expire.

abc1mce2 01-07-2022 01:57 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alhardy (Post 2624818)
Thanks Mark, Is this valid before the update and support plan expires, after it expired, or in both cases?


PS: Actually those options apply to both Ultimate AND standard, since it will (eventually) convert to perpetual if you let it expire.


With the Ultimate, it's already a license. You have a 30 day grace period after the 1-year support and upgrade plan ends to re-up. The catch is if you don't re-up in that 30 days you'll have to buy a reinstatement plan to get back on board with the latest updates. Avid no longer offers reinstatement plans and you can only purchase one through a dealer but they are very scarce and cost $999.00. Avid did for the month of December in 2021 offer reinstatements for Standard at $249 and Ultimate at $499 but that deal is gone. I did check and RSPE Audio and Video Solutions do have a few discounted reinstatement plans left in stock. To continue the support and upgrade plan for Ultimate is $399 a year if you don't let it lapse.

The Carbon PT subscription perpetual parachute is just what it is a subscription but with an option so if you don't re-up your not left without a license, cause it turns into a PT Hybrid Standard/Subscription license sort of at which is unique to the Carbon PT subscription license only. As Mark said with this license you can re-up anytime to continue the subscription for another year and receive the latest updates without penalty, unlike the Ultimate license as I described in the last paragraph or any other PT license. I do believe to continue the subscription it cost more than the PT Standard support and upgrade plan and that is the only catch.

alhardy 01-08-2022 03:53 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by abc1mce2 (Post 2624831)
With the Ultimate, it's already a license. You have a 30 day grace period after the 1-year support and upgrade plan ends to re-up. The catch is if you don't re-up in that 30 days you'll have to buy a reinstatement plan to get back on board with the latest updates. Avid no longer offers reinstatement plans and you can only purchase one through a dealer but they are very scarce and cost $999.00. Avid did for the month of December in 2021 offer reinstatements for Standard at $249 and Ultimate at $499 but that deal is gone. I did check and RSPE Audio and Video Solutions do have a few discounted reinstatement plans left in stock. To continue the support and upgrade plan for Ultimate is $399 a year if you don't let it lapse.

The Carbon PT subscription perpetual parachute is just what it is a subscription but with an option so if you don't re-up your not left without a license, cause it turns into a PT Hybrid Standard/Subscription license sort of at which is unique to the Carbon PT subscription license only. As Mark said with this license you can re-up anytime to continue the subscription for another year and receive the latest updates without penalty, unlike the Ultimate license as I described in the last paragraph or any other PT license. I do believe to continue the subscription it cost more than the PT Standard support and upgrade plan and that is the only catch.



So basically only the Standard PT license is unique to Carbon

When you let it expire you get a perpetual, but you can reactivate the subscription by just buying a "renew subscription" pack ( like if you still had an active plan, that's what no penalty means i suppose)

Ultimate is like for non-carbon users, a perpetual with 1 year support.

Is this correct?


Alberto


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com