Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418378)

alhardy 12-30-2021 11:01 AM

Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Hi, the question is in the title.
How do you renew Protools (standard) license after your first year of Carbon?

As a Perpetual renewal ?
As a Subscription renewal ?

Since it's a subscription until you let it expires, I assume you renew it as a subscription if not yet expired and as a Perpetual if expired.

Also what happens if it expires? Do I have the 30 days window to renew or need to reinstate?

what plugins exactly do you loose?
Do you get them back if you renew or reinstate..?


Any Idea?
Thanks,
Alberto

tetonica 01-01-2022 07:27 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Personally I would recommend to keep your perpetual license and renew the "Support & Upgrades Plan".

The perpetual license will always work even if the support plan expires (up to the latest version before plan expires). And the "Support & Upgrades Plan" also includes HEAT, Melodyna, Falcon and all AVID plugins (as long as plan is kept active). But the most important thing is to keep Pro Tools permanent license!

alhardy 01-01-2022 11:37 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2624167)
Personally I would recommend to keep your perpetual license and renew the "Support & Upgrades Plan".

The perpetual license will always work even if the support plan expires (up to the latest version before plan expires). And the "Support & Upgrades Plan" also includes HEAT, Melodyna, Falcon and all AVID plugins (as long as plan is kept active). But the most important thing is to keep Pro Tools permanent license!

Let me explain better.

My first year license is about to expire, and if it does it will turn into Perpetual.

I don't understand which renew pack to buy, since my store gives me 2 options:

Renew as a subscription holder
Renew as a perpetual holder

And also it's not clear what happens If I wanted to renew the license after expired.... do I have the 30 days window to renew or do I have to "reinstate" from day 1, which is more expensive?

dominicperry 01-01-2022 12:13 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
This used to be relatively simple for Carbon.

Carbon used to come with a standard PT perpetual license with one year of support+upgrades. If you do nothing after a year, the license remains perpetual and you are stuck at the last version you had access to. The alternative is to pay for a year of support and upgrades - about £200 / $200 per year. There is no option or need to move to a subscription license.

The confusion used to be that if you already had a standard perpetual PT license before you purchased the Carbon, you could INSTEAD choose to extend the support+upgrades on your existing perpetual license for one year.

Now is it substantially more confusing, because many/most people who bought a Carbon get a Perpetual ULTIMATE PT license as well. Yes - you get BOTH standard and ultimate, both with support+upgrades for a year. At the end, you have to decide to:
1) do nothing, in which case you keep both perpetual licenses, stuck at the final version.
2) add (pay for) support and upgrades on Standard PT
3) add (pay for) support and upgrades on Ultimate PT
4) add (pay for) support and upgrades on BOTH Standard and Ultimate.

At no point is there any real sense in moving to a subscription if you have a Carbon.

You should be able to see all you options inside your Avid account, although PT standard and PT ultimate are in different places - and in my case they have different dates because I received the PT Ultimate as a "gift" from Avid when they started the Ultimate promotion with Carbons, some time after I'd purchased the hardware.

DO NOT let it expire, unless you have already bought a reinstatement or are sure you can buy one from a reseller - be certain they have stock. All Avid reinstatements were withdrawn a year or two ago, and then unexpectedly brought back for ONLY December this year.
(by all means let it expire if you just want to go to a Perpetual with no support, but don't assume that reinstatements will be available again).

Dominic

alhardy 01-01-2022 03:42 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2624186)
This used to be relatively simple for Carbon.

Carbon used to come with a standard PT perpetual license with one year of support+upgrades. If you do nothing after a year, the license remains perpetual and you are stuck at the last version you had access to. The alternative is to pay for a year of support and upgrades - about £200 / $200 per year. There is no option or need to move to a subscription license.

The confusion used to be that if you already had a standard perpetual PT license before you purchased the Carbon, you could INSTEAD choose to extend the support+upgrades on your existing perpetual license for one year.

Now is it substantially more confusing, because many/most people who bought a Carbon get a Perpetual ULTIMATE PT license as well. Yes - you get BOTH standard and ultimate, both with support+upgrades for a year. At the end, you have to decide to:
1) do nothing, in which case you keep both perpetual licenses, stuck at the final version.
2) add (pay for) support and upgrades on Standard PT
3) add (pay for) support and upgrades on Ultimate PT
4) add (pay for) support and upgrades on BOTH Standard and Ultimate.

At no point is there any real sense in moving to a subscription if you have a Carbon.

You should be able to see all you options inside your Avid account, although PT standard and PT ultimate are in different places - and in my case they have different dates because I received the PT Ultimate as a "gift" from Avid when they started the Ultimate promotion with Carbons, some time after I'd purchased the hardware.

DO NOT let it expire, unless you have already bought a reinstatement or are sure you can buy one from a reseller - be certain they have stock. All Avid reinstatements were withdrawn a year or two ago, and then unexpectedly brought back for ONLY December this year.
(by all means let it expire if you just want to go to a Perpetual with no support, but don't assume that reinstatements will be available again).

Dominic

Thanks Dominique. Still confused.

I cannot renew inside my avid account. It says contact reseller.
The store I'm buying from has 2 options

Renew as a subscription holder
Renew as a perpetual holder

Inside my avid account my plan is : Carbon Pro Tools Subscription
That confuses me .... Do I already own a perpetual or am I still under subscription... therefore what to buy?



PS: I never got the "gift" of perpetual, I was one of the first to buy. Should I ask Avid?

dominicperry 01-01-2022 03:58 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alhardy (Post 2624199)
Thanks Dominique. Still confused.

I cannot renew inside my avid account. It says contact reseller.
The store I'm buying from has 2 options

Renew as a subscription holder
Renew as a perpetual holder

Inside my avid account my plan is : Carbon Pro Tools Subscription
That confuses me .... Do I already own a perpetual or am I still under subscription... therefore what to buy?



PS: I never got the "gift" of perpetual, I was one of the first to buy. Should I ask Avid?

Yes, you need to check with Avid and your reseller. Be careful with resellers - they often give incorrect advice, at least in the UK.

Dominic

alhardy 01-02-2022 04:21 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2624206)
Yes, you need to check with Avid and your reseller. Be careful with resellers - they often give incorrect advice, at least in the UK.

Dominic

Thanks Dominc, Avid is taking the usual time to answer..

trimix 01-02-2022 10:06 AM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alhardy (Post 2624199)
Thanks Dominique. Still confused.

I cannot renew inside my avid account. It says contact reseller.
The store I'm buying from has 2 options

Renew as a subscription holder
Renew as a perpetual holder

Inside my avid account my plan is : Carbon Pro Tools Subscription
That confuses me .... Do I already own a perpetual or am I still under subscription... therefore what to buy?

Same situation here, under Pro Tools Carbon in My Products I have a line for the hardware and a line that reads Pro Tools Carbon - Pro Tools Subscription with a system ID one digit higher than the hardware. It's status reads Expired on December 26, 2021 but on my iLok it's expiration date is shown as today January 2nd, 2022 at 4:59pm.

When registering the Carbon and selecting the one year subscription option, it was stated this would turn into a perpetual license at the last version available if not renewed. Has that actually happened for anybody yet?

spinsong 01-02-2022 05:57 PM

Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
This is how it goes with carbon according to the promo. One year subscription with perpetual parachute. Carbon was introduced early last year. Later on, last year in December, you were allowed to reinstate an expired perpetual plan. However, it didn’t pertain to subscriptions; which misses the whole point of perpetual renewal on carbon since it’s only a parachute after your subscription expires.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trimix 01-02-2022 10:51 PM

Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?
 
Yeah, problem is the perpetual parachute never opened, original 1 year subscription expired today and no perpetual license, thud.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com