Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   PT 10 & 11 co-install entirely separate? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349772)

Imagist 01-17-2014 03:14 AM

PT 10 & 11 co-install entirely separate?

Can my existing (full retail version) installation of PT10 (10.3.5) be left untouched by the upgrade and co-installation of PT11?
Mac OSX 10.8.5 with MOTU hardware.

That is will the PT11 upgrade installation recognize that PT10 is already there and leave it untouched, not overwriting anything?

I'm in the middle of a PT10 project and slightly nervous that it might be made unhappy in some way by installing PT11.

Also simple question - with a co-installation how do you choose which PT version to start up?

thanks

Mick

musicman691 01-17-2014 05:01 AM

Re: PT 10 & 11 co-install entirely separate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagist (Post 2122296)
Can my existing (full retail version) installation of PT10 (10.3.5) be left untouched by the upgrade and co-installation of PT11?

That is will the PT11 upgrade installation recognize that PT10 is already there and leave it untouched, not overwriting anything?

I'm in the middle of a PT10 project and slightly nervous that it might be made unhappy in some way by installing PT11.

Also simple question - with a co-installation how do you choose which PT version to start up?

thanks

Mick

You're going to need a later version of PT10 to do a co-install with PT11. I'd wait until the project you're working on is done and then do this: upgrade to PT10.3.8 and THEN install PT11. The PT11 co-install won't overwrite anything from PT10 but you do need a newer version of PT10 then you currently have. PT11 does reference some of the same folders as PT10 though it doesn't do anything to those folders.

With a co-install of PT10 and PT11 you select which version you want and open that version of PT and then open the session you want. Unfortunately you can't simply double click on a session and pick which version of PT you want to open the session. You could right-click on the session and choose Open With and pick the PT version you want. Simple Mac OSX procedure. Being you already have PT10 installed .ptx session will by default open in PT10 but that can be changed by right clicking on a PT session and Get Info. When that window comes up you can change the default version of PT to use when double clicking on a session.

I think the newer versions of PT10 now have a 10 in the program icon to tell what version it is. Early versions didn't. PT11 has nothing inside it to indicate what version it is; you have to change the icon and to do that go to the Pro Tools Expert site and search for the article that shows how to do that. It's easy, really.

Unfortunately .ptx session files aren't version aware. That means a session doesn't know if it was created in PT10 or PT11.

Drew Mazurek 01-17-2014 05:02 AM

Re: PT 10 & 11 co-install entirely separate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagist (Post 2122296)

thanks

Mick

Yes, they are separate.

PT10 is in the Avid folder inside the Applications Folder and PT11 sits in the Applications Folder by itself.