Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Carbon with 500 rack- bypassing the preamps / connectivity (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415257)

darkwavo 05-05-2021 12:12 PM

Carbon with 500 rack- bypassing the preamps / connectivity

Hello all.
I’m planning on using Carbon with a 500 series rack of preamps, compressors and effects. It has XLR and TRS connectivity on back of the 500 rack.

I am wondering what the best way to connect this would be... through the DB25 with a DB25–>XLR snake?
Would this bypass the mic pre circuitry and just go line in?

Also , is it possible to make a hardware insert from one of these I/O connections and insert a hardware 500 compressor for example on a pro tools track with no hiccups or latency Issues?

Thanks !!

albee1952 05-05-2021 01:53 PM

Re: Carbon with 500 rack- bypassing the preamps / connectivity

....through the DB25 with a DB25–>XLR snake? either works fine and most likely there's no difference.

...is it possible to make a hardware insert from one of these I/O connections and insert a hardware 500 compressor for example on a pro tools track with no hiccups or latency Issues? My opinion only; re latency, I can't answer, but I would expect some due to the round trip thru converters. My personal preference is to use hardware on the way INTO Pro Tools(to get the sonic flavor), but keep mixing all in the box

darkwavo 05-05-2021 02:33 PM

I thought I read somewhere that the DB25 bypassed the mic preamp section on the way in.

I might be wrong

Kyle Splittgerber 05-05-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2601385)
Hello all.
I’m planning on using Carbon with a 500 series rack of preamps, compressors and effects. It has XLR and TRS connectivity on back of the 500 rack.

I am wondering what the best way to connect this would be... through the DB25 with a DB25–>XLR snake?

Also , is it possible to make a hardware insert from one of these I/O connections and insert a hardware 500 compressor for example on a pro tools track with no hiccups or latency Issues?

Thanks !!

Hello,

Yes, you'll want to use DB25 cables to connect your outboard gear to the Line In and Line Out connections on the back panel. You can then connect any mic inputs to the XLR inputs. On the front panel, simply switch the channels between MIC and LINE input type depending on when you need line input vs mic inputs. If you want to bypass the gain on the Line inputs you can do that in Pro Tools > Hardware Setup > Line I/O. We made a number of improvements to automatic delay compensation for hardware inserts in Pro Tools with 2021.3, so it should be very solid now.

Hope that helps.

Kyle

darkwavo 05-05-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2601407)
Hello,

Yes, you'll want to use DB25 cables to connect your outboard gear to the Line In and Line Out connections on the back panel. You can then connect any mic inputs to the XLR inputs. On the front panel, simply switch the channels between MIC and LINE input type depending on when you need line input vs mic inputs. If you want to bypass the gain on the Line inputs you can do that in Pro Tools > Hardware Setup > Line I/O. We made a number of improvements to automatic delay compensation for hardware inserts in Pro Tools with 2021.3, so it should be very solid now.

Hope that helps.

Kyle

Great, thank you Kyle.

What is the advantage of bypassing the gain on the line inputs ?
It that a cleaner line in to the converter section ?

And good news on the I/O delay compensation. I use the outs and ins all the time typically to create hardware efx sends/returns , parallel process , etc.

Thanks again !

chrisdee 05-06-2021 01:50 AM

Is it possible to use any of the physical outputs on Carbon as physical sends?

digiot 05-06-2021 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2601385)
Hello all.

Thanks !!

Personally I am running my 500-rack in to an Apogee Rosetta 800 and run ADAT out of the Apogee in to my Carbon. That way I am adding mic pre's instead of replacing the build in ones ;)

Matt Hepworth 05-06-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digiot (Post 2601464)
Personally I am running my 500-rack in to an Apogee Rosetta 800 and run ADAT out of the Apogee in to my Carbon. That way I am adding mic pre's instead of replacing the build in ones ;)

How many samples difference are there between the Rosetta 800 and Carbon? A simple simultaneous recording to both will give you that info. It'll be very interesting to see how much faster Carbon AD is from Rosetta 800.

Kyle Splittgerber 05-06-2021 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2601431)
Great, thank you Kyle.

What is the advantage of bypassing the gain on the line inputs ?
It that a cleaner line in to the converter section ?

And good news on the I/O delay compensation. I use the outs and ins all the time typically to create hardware efx sends/returns , parallel process , etc.

Thanks again !

Sure thing. Bypassing line input gain improves performance. See highlighted numbers in the attached.

Kyle Splittgerber 05-06-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdee (Post 2601446)
Is it possible to use any of the physical outputs on Carbon as physical sends?

Yes, it can function that way (just like with any interface in Pro Tools).