Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   VENUE Live Sound Systems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Using Pro Tools to record from non Avid console (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415715)

djpomello 06-12-2021 04:14 AM

Using Pro Tools to record from non Avid console

Does anybody knows hot to record a MADI 56 ch stream on a laptop with Pro Tools 2019.6 (non Ultimate) thru a MADI to AVB to Mac interface? is there the 32 tracks limit? Do I need Ultimate? Do I need Digi Link? I am refering to a non Avid console which I always use directly thru AVB/Ethernet.
Thanks for your help.

Sardi 06-12-2021 04:56 AM

Yes. You’ll hit a 32 channel limit. You’ll need PT Ultimate.

In terms of HW, I think MOTU and RME make boxes that would fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djpomello 06-12-2021 05:36 AM

Re: Using Pro Tools to record from non Avid console

Excellent Sardi thanks

Sardi 06-12-2021 06:08 AM

Probably worth mentioning that if all you need to do is capture the audio without interacting with the software itself (hit record and let it roll) then perhaps look at using something else as opposed to dumping a whole bunch of money on Ultimate.

Reaper would work. Maybe even Tracks Live by Waves. That’s basically what it was designed for. Alternatively, you could just rent Ultimate for a month.

The standard version of PT only limits the simultaneous record channels to 32. You can still edit and mix up to 128 tracks after the recording process is done.

neve2254e 06-12-2021 10:07 AM

Currently you will need PT Ultimate and Avid's hardware to record more than 32 channels.

So for me to use Protools I have to carry around a 5 space rack with an Avid HD native, Dante network switch, 2 Foscurite REDnet5's, 2 digilink cables, thunderbolt 2 cable and a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adaptor.

Hopefully Ultimate will be able to record more than 32 channels in the very near future as the next PT upgrade will allow us 2048 voices.:eek:

Kind regards
Eric Slaughter:cool:

djpomello 06-12-2021 01:55 PM

Will do with Waves Tracks and a MOTU Madi/AVB interface as I was doing in the old days with Avid Profile with Madi board.Cheers everybody.

Sardi 06-12-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neve2254e (Post 2604149)
Currently you will need PT Ultimate and Avid's hardware to record more than 32 channels.

Yes of course. I always forget that 32 i/o limit isn’t just a sw limitation.

neve2254e 06-12-2021 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=Sardi;2604177]Yes of course. I always forget that 32 i/o limit isn’t just a sw limitation.

It is a Software limit only. It is a fixed number in a look up table in the software. So easy for the programmers to implement. I begged Avid for this feature, I would even pay extra for it. I don't want to carry around all this extra gear. Waves said they are no longer going to support Tracks Live. Yes I can buy reaper, but why?? Protools is my DAW of choice.

I tried to use Dolby Audio Bridge as it is advertised as a 130x130 in and out of protools ultimate. I was able to get 128 channels to play out of protools without any Avid hardware!! But Protools still only will record the first 32 channels of the Dolby Audio Bridge.

Anyway. Maybe when I get my next Mac and it has more CPU cores than Avid has native I/O they might fix this.

Sardi 06-12-2021 08:02 PM

No I understand that.

I meant that AVID still ties it to HW in order to upsell you to an HD system.

And yes, its been long debated that they should simply open up the SW and free it from limitations. Who the hell knows if that will ever happen.

sfsetse 12-23-2021 10:35 AM

Pro Tools 2021.6 increased the maximum channel count from 32 to 64, which definitely made me happy.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Release-Notes

LG, Kate