Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anyone Digi Certified? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=53927)

Papawhitehead 04-15-2003 05:51 PM

Anyone Digi Certified?

Hi, I recently took the Digidesign certification courses and will be taking the exam soon. Has anyone out there done this? I've heard the exam is a real bitch (tricky questions ect...) The classes were great by the way... worth every penny.

mentalmusic 04-15-2003 08:44 PM

Re: Anyone Digi Certified?

I was certified at The Conservatory of Recording Arts & Sciences in Tempe, AZ a couple of years back. I was very new to ProTools back then, so the classes I took WERE very helpful, however I have since learned infinite times as much since the time I was officially "certified." I feel like the whole certification thing was kind of a joke. I know others that have been "Certified" that probably couldn't even set up a reverb send on an aux track. At the same time though, on my business card, the title under my name is: "Certified Pro Tools Operator" and it raises eyebrows everytime [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

tha k man 04-15-2003 09:20 PM

Haven't done the Digi course, but after 6 years of tech support - I'm certifiable!!

" I'd settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need."

The Mighty Burner 04-16-2003 06:21 AM

I agree...the official "certification" courses are overated and WAY overpriced. Knowledge is where it is at....

A good alternative is the online Berklee courses (which are a 1/4 of the price), or you could just read the textbook "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools", which is excellent. Hanging out on the DUC taught me much, as well...

BTW...Berklee also offers a so-called "certification" certificate upon completion of their courses...I am very skeptical about any certificate's usefulness in the industry. In my experience, it's your work and personality that hold the most value in terms of securing jobs and making contacts.

Peace!

cecilsound 04-17-2003 07:06 AM

Burner is right. Certification doesn't mean much without practical experience. Raised eybrows hit the floor when you don't know what phantom power is.

PlugInJunky 04-17-2003 10:43 AM

...Certified...thats a JOKE...I have been working in the industry for 2 years now...and I run circles around people here...and they have been using ProTools since Version 4....All my friends are certified and NONE Of them are working in the industry....A title on my business card is nothing...It says My Name and "Audio Engineer" thats all it needs to say.....

soundboy69 04-17-2003 11:29 PM

I agree that knowledge is more important than "certification", but it can get your foot in the door in some situations. I was also certified at the Conservatory a couple of years ago (Mentalmusic- what class were you in; AM/PM, etc.), but have learned mucho since!
If I were to recommend a book, (other than the manual, which is very good) it would be the Roback (author) book over the Franz book (I have both). It goes into far more detail than the Franz book... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]