Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Is the screen Redraws feeling sluggish to anybody else (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417377)

Rectifried 10-14-2021 08:47 AM

Is the screen Redraws feeling sluggish to anybody else

Redraws feeling sluggish to anybody else? on Big Sur
Trying to lasso mdi notes it takes a second for the box to appear, just minor stuff over the entire work session it’s just a second or two late… and at the end of the day my hand feels like it’s going to fall off am I crazy?
I guess nobody else is having this problem since it’s never posted or people have just gone into their bunkers at this point
As noted in my profile I have plenty of RAM and 12 cores
I don’t know what else I can feed this sluggish piece of crap with.. 64 gigs? 12 cores... come the xx on

..it didn’t used to be this way a few revisions back… I made a mistake of reinstalling everything thinking it was something at the core level, I should’ve just gone back to my Mojave
Trying to keep this machine up to spec with what avid recommends but if I do all the checkboxes it runs like crap

I guess nobody else has this problem... looks like, since everyone is still posting about cheesgraters and subscription questions

EDIT: went back to Catalina..that fixed it.. what a waste of weeeks

DetroitT 10-14-2021 12:22 PM

Re: Is the screen Redraws feeling sluggish to anybody else

Some Plugins when active, crawl my system to unusable.
Mojave, PTs 2021.7, Radeon 580 vid.
Roland Cloud Zenology lite is the worst extreme.

Obsidian Dragon 10-14-2021 01:20 PM

Several people have also reported screen lag and even freezing. We have not been able to pinpoint the source but the latest versions of Protools (2021.6 and 2021.7) definitely seem to bring out these symptoms more as previous version seem to work fine. Bib Sur seems to also contribute to the issue. One possible suspect is a plugin that does not play well with the latest versions of Protools. You can either go through the tedious troubleshooting process of moving all plugins into the unused folder and one by one bring them in and test. Some folks that don't have the time to do this simply reverted to an older version of Protools (prior to 2021.x I think).

Rectifried 10-14-2021 11:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up
Perhaps I should roll all the way back
The plug-ins yeah .. I don’t know where to start
I took my pcm lex out .. after seeing a hang message regarding that one
This new “ a plug in is causing ..blah blah “ is a new message but then it comes and goes and we’re off to
Whack a mole
Btw PCM we’re not cheap ..
Am I crazy but these same plugins kind sorta very much work fine in other daws
What could they possibly do to screw this up
One or 2 plugins turns the whole thing to mush?
I’ve paid a yearly fee for worse performance than the previous year lol
What are they doing to fix this ? Looks like nothing
It’s just going to be a 1990s feeling daw then ?
Despite the computers being faster than ever
HeckofaJob digi

Obsidian Dragon 10-15-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rectifried (Post 2616030)
Thanks for the heads up
Perhaps I should roll all the way back
The plug-ins yeah .. I don’t know where to start
I took my pcm lex out .. after seeing a hang message regarding that one
This new “ a plug in is causing ..blah blah “ is a new message but then it comes and goes and we’re off to
Whack a mole
Btw PCM we’re not cheap ..
Am I crazy but these same plugins kind sorta very much work fine in other daws
What could they possibly do to screw this up
One or 2 plugins turns the whole thing to mush?
I’ve paid a yearly fee for worse performance than the previous year lol
What are they doing to fix this ? Looks like nothing
It’s just going to be a 1990s feeling daw then ?
Despite the computers being faster than ever
HeckofaJob digi

Yeah. New issues every release. I think the cause this time around is Apple introducing the M1 (Apple Silicon) processors. Avid (no longer Digidesign) is trying make Protools compatible, but for this round they still had to go through the Rosetta2 code translator. Hopefully they can recode the application for native M1 support in the next iteration but it may take several releases to get things ironed out. In their efforts, some third party plugins failed to work as expected. Unfortunately they don't write the plugins so it is a little out of their hands to fix them. I'm not making excuses for Avid. They need to adhere to Apples coding standards and likewise the 3rd party plugins need to too. This may reduce the issues of proprietary code not working when Apple makes a hardware/OS change. It is a constantly moving target however and non-Apple companies don't necessarily have knowledge of Apples plans and direction with enough time to implement the changes as even those plans are constantly changing. It is what it is.

Rectifried 10-15-2021 11:22 AM

when you say "We are not able to pinpoint".. that means your beta testing?

Rectifried 10-15-2021 11:55 AM

looking at compata mac avid
the 2020.X.. isnt not qualified for Big Sur... just Mojave catalina, sierra.
Soooo getting back to something that works.. for my 200$ per year... every year.$.. will mean a full system roll back.
why Avid? why.
If I roll back... Ill jump out of upgades and avid bait and switch I suppose. why bother. If Im paying to be almost 2 years behind.
which is what Obsidian is suggesting with his confirmation of this base problem.
hey avid
why dont YOU have 2 installers

for intel and M1
bc... many many many... will be on intel and cant deal with your non ablility to code for 2 things at once
esp the folks that went 2020 la chee$egratier .. $6k starting/ intel machines

Obsidian Dragon 10-15-2021 06:10 PM

I get the frustration that Rectifried is experiencing. I've been using Protools for about 17 years and honestly must admit that Avid (and Digidesign prior to that) are among the slower companies to catch up to the perpetual changes that Apple puts out. Some have blamed it on an older code base that is difficult to update, but total rewrites have been done and still this persists. Some have blamed it on the original programmers having left the company and new developers inheriting the code base, but adequate time for new developers to become proficient with the code base has passed. Suffice it to say that the Protools system is complex and test efforts take much longer than many other applications. As I said earlier, it is what it is. If you like the workflow of Protools (the main reason people stick with Protools) then you end up living with the slow pace of compatibility to Apple's march forward. If that is unacceptable, there are many excellent DAWs available if you are willing to adopt their workflow. Logic is an Apple product and enjoys the most rapid compatibility path to Apple's changes. Some other DAWs have been rewritten to newer code bases and may be quicker to make changes as Apple releases updates. Choose what works for you.

Rectifried 10-15-2021 07:49 PM

I always value your opinions and it seems like you’ve got an inside track with this company… As stated in many of my posts I love Protools
looks like I’m one of the “older members” still posting in this site, I use it every single day as a professional.
I have ableton I know logic… All these “yes go use another DAW if you don’t like Protools” punch lines is not really what I’m saying here

What I’m asking and you have confirmed is that for the last ,almost year they have broken the software ,some people experience it more than others…

But what you say,and I say ,is they have corrupted this program to the point of being worse than it was over a year ago -for me…
And I’m assuming there’s got to be more than me
I know this for a fact since I like you.. live in Los Angeles and interact very often with professionals in this business

I don’t have an M1 Apple…

But since I’m on the platform they have sold this software to be compatible with and have had many years to make it compatible with the Intel processor for me to suffer their problems because of some apple changes I have not changed I am using the computer that they built the software for

To be crystal clear, yet again,
I like Protools and it’s not about oh I see features in this other daw which are much better, I’m not asking that, Or am I demanding they keep up with Apple. as a professional I go very slow as 20 years has taught us.. So I waited to go to Big Sur a year or more. I checked and rechecked the site to see if Every company had 11.xx as the computer spec... BEFORE I went to upgrade
each version of PT has gotten Better.. but some things like: instruments reassigning the midi when reopening..[really avid .. years now.. and that can REALLY fk you up if you dont catch it].. and Now ... now tab to transient going weird.. hmm thats.. like never happened in 20 years.
so AS a Professional.. you think OK! this point blah blah version will clear up that small stuff.. but no, weird, random ,worse.. now big black boxes on the screen .. glad I have no "clients" over my shoulder ..
so Yes Im not making this up

but the Lack of working engineers on this site nowadays , didnt prepare me for the bugs wih the last updates

used to be looonnng threads with every release.. Im sure you remember

besides you,Obsidian.. not many has confirmed that there is a problem.. its still "how do i plugin my headphones "etc around here.. "how much is... "
well things change.

crowd sourcing has .. devolved a bit
i suppose theres the Ytubers that want you to wade thought their "5 greatest tips!!!" to get an answer these days lol

So all in all
I’m asking for the program -as presented -with the exact specs Avid asks for -,check listed exactly on a clean machine-
work the way they’re selling it as..

You have confirmed that it doesn’t work that way and they indeed have made it worse over the last year…

Obsidian Dragon 10-15-2021 09:02 PM

I totally agree with you that this past year has been problematic with the 2021 versions of Protools on the Mac platform (both M1 and Intel). Avid has not got it right. There are clearly issues when they tried to make it compatible for M1 processors that broke something on Intel Macs. Big Sur is another change they have not been able to conquer yet. I actually don't think they'll get it sorted before Monterey (the next version of Mac OS) comes out and the whole cycle starts again. I may sound negative, but I actually look forward to each release with hope that they will eventually get it right. Like I said, I've been at this for about 17 years. I used to do this professionally but since have suffered hearing loss, so now it is just a hobby for an old tech geek. It is still fun for me so I continue to endure this crazy cycle of upgrades, fixes, and issues.