Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Interface not recognized? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415027)

Tryingtowork 04-18-2021 06:18 PM

Interface not recognized?

Question folks, I'm using a zoom Podtrak P8 as an interface and PT isn't recognizing it at all in the playback engine menu.
-I'm on Version 2020.11.0
-I have my default audio input/output in windows set to the P8
-I set the playback engine to "Default Windows Media device"
-When I record PT uses the computer mic and plays back on the computer speakers

Anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

sw rec 04-19-2021 06:50 AM

Re: Interface not recognized?

It’s actually doing exactly what you told it to do! Make your onboard soundcard the default playback device for Windows audio. Your P8 needs to be exclusively available for PT. Pro Tools, especially on Windows, doesn’t like to share hardware.

The Weed 04-19-2021 11:08 AM

Does the P8 have an ASIO driver? Besides leaving it exclusively for Pro Tools, on Windows, you need an ASIO driver. Alternatively, you can try ASIO4ALL, but it's a Band-Aid.

K Roche 04-19-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryingtowork (Post 2599946)
Question folks, I'm using a zoom Podtrak P8 as an interface and PT isn't recognizing it at all in the playback engine menu.
-I'm on Version 2020.11.0
-I have my default audio input/output in windows set to the P8
-I set the playback engine to "Default Windows Media device"
-When I record PT uses the computer mic and plays back on the computer speakers

Anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

Maybe I have an idea unfortunately I am on Mac

But I am thinking you do not want the playback engine set to " Default Windows Media device" (which I am guessing is your computer, and why it is recording and playing back on the computer)
You want the playback engine set to the P8

Also from the P8 manual it looks like it will only transmit 2 channels of USB to the computer . (don't know if this is an issue for you or not)

To get the P8 to show as a "playback engine" option
(at least this is how it works on Mac) Hold the (N) key down while launching Pro Tools and while launching it should stop with a window opening asking if you want P8 as a new playback engine Or it will at least show in the playback engine button dropdown as an option ,,,, select it and PT will close ..Relaunch it and it should be the selected playback engine

Tryingtowork 04-22-2021 01:04 PM

Thanks for the responses folks. Unfortunately I cannot select the p8 under playback engine because it doesn't show up. When I get back to the computer I'll try what K Roche suggested. Also when I checked zooms website it said no driver downloads necessary for the p8, sorry The Weed.

The Weed 04-22-2021 04:26 PM

Pro Tools on Windows usually requires an ASIO driver be used. If there is no ASIO driver, try ASIO4ALL.

Tryingtowork 04-29-2021 12:54 PM

So thanks, but that also didn't help. What I did find out tho is that the P8 is an MME interface rather than ASIO. That option isn't even in the playback engine menu. Is there a way PT recognizes MME interfaces?

The Weed 04-29-2021 04:50 PM

Here is some Windows driver information.

And here is some information on ASIO4ALL.

If you can't get the P8 to work with Pro Tools, try it with Reaper - it has a 60 day trial.

Realistically, if you want to work with a mainstream DAW on Windows, you need an interface with an ASIO driver.