Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Digi 002 Speaker Noise (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=102035)

tubestudio 04-01-2004 08:07 AM

Digi 002 Speaker Noise

Hello all!

I have a small problem and I'm wandering if anyone has an answer or is experiencing the same thing. I have Digi 002 rack, a quicksilver G4 (933Mhz) and a pair or Tannoy active monitors. When I have the firewire cable plugged in there is a terrible digital crackle in the speakers, constantly, even if Pro Tools is not running (it only gets worse when I boot Pro Tools up). It was suggested to me that it may be a problem with the G4, so I bought a new firewire card, it still make the crackle, so I tried it on my laptop (Titanium G4, 550Mhz), still get the crackle. If anyone has an answer to my problem please let me know.

Cheers
Tom

Chris Cavell 04-01-2004 08:21 AM

Re: Digi 002 Speaker Noise

Check your monitors with other front ends, and check the 002 with other monitors. This will determine if it's the monitors or the 002. Go from there.

G.I. Productz 04-01-2004 09:55 AM

I had the same exact problem, and I know its annoying as hell..

Do a google search for Mac Update CHUD.

Download and install that in your system.

After installed go to your control panel. On the bottom you will see HARDWARE.

Click that and Disable NAP. All your problems should be fixed. Mine were...

lambro3 04-01-2004 03:13 PM

if the CHUD does not work, make sure you are using balanced speaker cable, TRS to XLR if you monitios can take and XLR.

_G

tubestudio 04-09-2004 09:37 AM

I'll try that out,

Thanks
for your help

Tom

JFrazier 04-09-2004 10:55 AM

-
Is that a solution for PBooks too? I thought it was just G5's.

We have a horrible crackle problem when using the ALT SRC to monitor at work (dual G4 to 002).

Now I'm having the same problem on my PBook and 002Rack. It used to be bearable, now it's a mess.

Consider the chain:
PBook -> Firewire port -> Firewire drive -> Firewire drive -> 002R

PBook -> USB port -> emi6|2 (computer sounds, itunes, etc.) (rca out to rca 002R ALT SRC in's)

Unplugging the RCA's going into ALT SRC cuts the problem in half (can still hear crackle with nothing plugged into ALT SRC with ALT SRC to monitor selected, pot at +2 o'clock)

WITH the RCA's plugged into ALT SRC to monitor, the noise is present and obtrusive at the 10 o'clock position.

I'll investigate the CHUD thing... this is ridiculous.

any other ideas? Thanks tons! Nothing like spending a wonderful day in Chicago at the computer trying to trouble shoot crackling noises.

jim
-

JFrazier 04-09-2004 11:28 AM

-
CHUD worked out really well!

There's still noise, but it's not as crackly, and you have to crank the monitors to hear it. ALSO, I believe I have to "uncheck" the NAP box every time I reboot... not a big deal.

The tell-tale sign, too, is to drag your cursor around the DOCK icons while you're in FINDER... that's when it really comes through.

ANYWAY.

THANKS A TON!

jim
-