Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Is no one else embarrassed by Elastic Audio? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417246)

midnightrambler 10-01-2021 07:44 AM

Is no one else embarrassed by Elastic Audio?

I've been doing some remote but online mixing tweaks for an artist, it's been working quite well as it goes, but I always feel a pang of embarrassment whenever there's any sort of stretching involved.

We've got 4 different algorithms in PT, and frankly, they all sound sh*t. I just wanted to stretch one word on a vocal - one word! - without the pain of loading into Melodyne etc etc. "I'll just switch on Elastic, that'll save some time." Big mistake. A weird lump when using "Polyphonic". Transient smudge when using "X-Form". Goodness knows what Monophonic was trying to do, absolutely useless. And didn't bother with Rhythmic in this instance, but I've had various amounts of joyless pain with that before now. And don't get me started on the various rendered files that just decide to disappear from one day to the next.

Is really the best on offer in 2021? For shame.

grayter1 10-01-2021 08:11 AM

Re: Is no one else embarrassed by Elastic Audio?

Feel your pain. As much as it's a headache to import into Melodyne, that's really the state of the art right now. If Avid would ever adopt ARA2...

Studio One, Cubase/Nuendo, Reaper and Logic make life so much easier in that regard. The ARA integration in S1 is so fluid, that Melodyne literally disappears into and becomes one with the app.

tg

JingleDjango 10-01-2021 08:25 AM

It's pretty bad, yeah. I've been wanting to buy a license for Elastique TCE but can't swallow the cost for fixing something that should work well out of the box.

capt kirk 10-01-2021 09:32 AM

I hear ya, bru! its literal ****, but even worse , some of my stretched/compressed files dont like to play nice with the downstream mixers protools .....its weird, and random....the timing glitches are grainy as hell.....its so old.....

Rectifried 10-01-2021 10:06 AM

200$ [400 HD] per year for this "feature" of sub par tools. when they are readily working in 4 other hosts.

EGS 10-01-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2615031)
...a pang of embarrassment whenever there's any sort of stretching involved...

I use Waves SoundShifter with some success, but sometimes it sux too... I have SoundShifter set as my default TCE tool in ProTools prefs, so it's quick to use. Next time, though, I'll try Melodyne.

Bob Olhsson 10-01-2021 11:41 AM

I found that SoundShifter sounds incredible when run at 96k rather than at 48 or 44.1.

TOM@METRO 10-01-2021 11:47 AM

After all these years, Pitch 'n Time Pro is still my favorite.

albee1952 10-01-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2615056)

AMEN!!! Wish it was cheaper:o

AlexLakis 10-01-2021 03:59 PM

It's been over a decade and I'm still waiting...

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...ansients+go%3F

weezul 10-01-2021 04:18 PM

Fully agree. The state of elastic audio is shameful. It must be over a decade old now and even waiting on all that time for X-Form, sometimes sound worse than polyphonic!!!

capt kirk 10-02-2021 10:11 AM

Thank god I use SoundMiner, the pitch is fantastic, but it doesnt do time....i dunno maybe the newer on does.....

sw rec 10-02-2021 11:53 AM

Let’s just say, I tried it once and never looked at it again.

originalscottyg 10-19-2021 08:28 AM

For stretching one word in a vocal, the default Avid TC/E algorithm using the TCE Trim tool is actually really good.

Eric Lambert 10-19-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2615056)

Same

Bushpig 10-20-2021 01:29 PM

Hi All (Hey Midnight, it's been a minute),

The daft thing is, I'm still running my beloved TDM systems with PT 10.3.10 and Elastic is bloody great!! I use it every day, and couldn't live without it.

What the hell have they done to it since?? I know there was that thread about an internal setting that Izotope recommended switching, but Avid just ignore everybody. And we pay through the nose for this kind of snub!! Shameful. Industry leader? Pfffft.

It's no wonder I have an HDX card and 888 interface sat in the closet. I keep thinking I'll pull them out and have a go, but then issues like this remind me why you'll have to pry my TDM rigs from my cold dead hands.

Steve

cwsand 10-22-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2616416)
For stretching one word in a vocal, the default Avid TC/E algorithm using the TCE Trim tool is actually really good.

Yeah, I use it that way too. Sometimes if it doesn't sound good, I'll switch to the Waves algorithm and usually one of them will work well enough.

What I can't stand is when a client wants to change the key of a whole song, or the tempo - or both! I know it's going to make all the tracks lose quality using EA - I'm like, "What didn't you figure that out before you recorded it?!?" EA just kills drums and vocals and isn't too kind to other audio either. At least with drums, you can use Beat Detective instead and retain the sonic quality. Sometimes you can get away with slicing up vocals too so that it conforms to the new tempo and retains quality.

Eric Lambert 10-22-2021 12:10 PM

I (somewhat) recently had to change the pitch and duration of a session that depended on pristine audio quality, and we auditioned several algorithms. The only one that was passable and didn't make me cringe was Pitch n Time. To someone who was paying close attention you could hear the difference but most people wouldn't sense that it had been altered. I do agree with others that Elastic can work in some instances, but it quickly collapses, especially when, as you said, there are time and pitch changes.

RE: artists changing tempo and key mid-session: we deified digital to the point that some people feel that anything can be "fixed in post" without compromises, so they're less concerned about recording it properly the first time. I've been editing audio and MIDI for almost 30 years and, still, the biggest thorn in my side is the editing of hybrid sessions (containing both audio and MIDI) with multiple tempo changes. "Slow down section 3 by 10 BPM but keep the rest."

huzzam 10-27-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushpig (Post 2616570)
The daft thing is, I'm still running my beloved TDM systems with PT 10.3.10 and Elastic is bloody great!! I use it every day, and couldn't live without it.

What the hell have they done to it since?? I know there was that thread about an internal setting that Izotope recommended switching, but Avid just ignore everybody. And we pay through the nose for this kind of snub!! Shameful. Industry leader? Pfffft.

Agreed, I remember when Elastic came out in 7.4, it definitely sounded much better than what we have now. (Of course, I knew much less about what i was doing then, as well, so maybe that played a role...)

priorytools 10-27-2021 02:51 PM

Is no one else embarrassed by Elastic Audio?

The word “sh**e” springs to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk