Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Any 192khz Carbon Users? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417708)

tekn0 11-07-2021 01:52 PM

Any 192khz Carbon Users?

I'm just curious if any users are working at 192K with the carbon. What kind of DSP mileage you're getting out of your favorite plug-ins. Hows is the CPU usage? How you're liking the sound.

Matt Hepworth 11-09-2021 07:41 PM

Re: Any 192khz Carbon Users?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekn0 (Post 2618653)
I'm just curious if any users are working at 192K with the carbon. What kind of DSP mileage you're getting out of your favorite plug-ins. Hows is the CPU usage? How you're liking the sound.

Lots of plugins don't work at 192, but lots do. What's your motivation for 192 instead?

tekn0 11-30-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth (Post 2618836)
Lots of plugins don't work at 192, but lots do. What's your motivation for 192 instead?

Fold back aliasing, and fold back distortion. I use lots of saturation, overdrive, and distortion plug-ins. These types of plug-ins sound horrible at low sample rates.

darkwavo 12-09-2021 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekn0 (Post 2620754)
Fold back aliasing, and fold back distortion. I use lots of saturation, overdrive, and distortion plug-ins. These types of plug-ins sound horrible at low sample rates.

Interesting. I’m loving Carbon - the interface sounds fanstastic to me, and I’m coming from a Burl mothership / HDX rig…
I’m running at 96k and it sounds super balanced and resolved.
I prefer it to 48k, which I’ve also been using.

To add to your question , is anyone doing 32 bit sessions ?

K Roche 12-09-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2621926)
Interesting. I’m loving Carbon - the interface sounds fanstastic to me, and I’m coming from a Burl mothership / HDX rig…
I’m running at 96k and it sounds super balanced and resolved.
I prefer it to 48k, which I’ve also been using.

I have pretty much just been doing 24 bit 48 k also.
I suppose I could try 32 bit if I do I will report back

I have not heard back anything on the 2021.10 I/O issue where if launch at a different sample rate it will loose the I/O settings OR am I the only one experiencing this ?
problem discussed here
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415747&page=3

tekn0 12-10-2021 09:22 AM

I have been using 32 bit. As advertised the converter is native 32 bit. I'm not sure if I can tell a difference. But I do feel like there's a hint more dynamic range. This could be good or bad depending on what you're going for.

I figure I have the computer and the space, and I bought the Ferrari interface. Might as well drive it fast. :)

I really like the sound of this thing. It's one of the reasons I bought it. The pres and converters sound so balanced. Everything has a slight bit of thickness and weight to it surprisingly. Cheaper boxes never have this balanced sound to me. The carbon does. I was looking at more transformer-based stuff originally, but the carbon kept catching my ears.

darkwavo 12-14-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekn0 (Post 2622106)
I have been using 32 bit. As advertised the converter is native 32 bit. I'm not sure if I can tell a difference. But I do feel like there's a hint more dynamic range. This could be good or bad depending on what you're going for.

I figure I have the computer and the space, and I bought the Ferrari interface. Might as well drive it fast. :)

I really like the sound of this thing. It's one of the reasons I bought it. The pres and converters sound so balanced. Everything has a slight bit of thickness and weight to it surprisingly. Cheaper boxes never have this balanced sound to me. The carbon does. I was looking at more transformer-based stuff originally, but the carbon kept catching my ears. The match of carbon and HEAT at high sample rates is a joy to work with.

Agree with you about the weight and balanced tone of Carbon . It’s special. I actually am preferring the pure but solid tone over the systems I’ve used in the past including the Burl- which was over 10k$$$ for converters alone!

Awesome machine the Carbon !

tekn0 12-26-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2622466)
Agree with you about the weight and balanced tone of Carbon . It’s special. I actually am preferring the pure but solid tone over the systems I’ve used in the past including the Burl- which was over 10k$$$ for converters alone!

Awesome machine the Carbon !

Absolutely! I was definitely looking at all the transformer options. But I just loved the sound of the carbon. And like I said above, HEAT adds any of that mojo I need. :)

I just wish they made it so you could track live with HEAT on. They disable it for some reason. Hopefully, in an update, they change that.

Mikey MTC 01-13-2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2621926)

All sessions are 32 bit, in terms of mixing. Some portions are 64 bit.

The 32 bit session option only refers to recording new files and/or when other files get rendered into the session due to sample rate mismatch, etc.

I still don't see the point of actually analog recording 32 bit files, given 24 bits provides more dynamic range than any converter, or our ears can capture. (As long as we don't clip our 24 bit recording)