Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   PT Hangs/Freezes at end of bounce, must force quit (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414796)

nebosphere 04-01-2021 06:33 AM

PT Hangs/Freezes at end of bounce, must force quit

Is anyone else having an issue where at the end of bouncing to disk, where the progress bar is all the way at the end, pro tools just stops and sits there, requiring a force-quit? The bounced audio file is actually fully created and usable but it seems Pro Tools can't recover after the procedure somehow.

Buffer setting seems to make no difference. Real time vs Offline seems to make no difference. In some cases it seems to be related to bouncing to mov and only having selected a portion of the video. In those cases if I select the entire video, everything works. In other cases, however, there is no video involved at all. I can't seem to find a common thread. It's entirely possible it's one of my plugins but I've yet to narrow it down as I haven't finished testing there.

Other than this very annoying glitch, this version seems to be running great!

I'm running Catalina, 2018 Intel Mac mini (2TB/64GB RAM), Radeon RX 580 Pro Tools 2021.3, HDX, UAD Octo, Sonnet PCIe TB2 chassis, Radeon RX 580 eGPU in a Sonnet eGFX chassis on separate TB3 bus from audio.

albee1952 04-01-2021 07:46 AM

Re: PT Hangs/Freezes at end of bounce, must force quit

As an experiment, try committing batches of tracks(maybe 10 at a time) to see if you can pin this down to a certain plugin:o

nebosphere 04-01-2021 08:20 AM

Good idea! When you say commute - do you mean import into a new session?

diogomusique 04-12-2021 01:30 PM

I'm having the same issue here

nebosphere 04-12-2021 08:35 PM

Seems like it might be related somehow to the frame boundary setting in the bounce window and whether you happen to have a bounce selection that is to the frame or something smaller. Still trying to track it down over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

climber 04-13-2021 08:09 AM

have not seen this one, and I have been bouncing a TON of session files lately of all different complexities and lengths. FWIW I only bounce to WAV format tho.

JFreak 04-13-2021 08:28 AM

If you even THINK your issue is plugin related, it is not enough to bounce one track or tracks with plugins disabled. PT loads plugins into memory at start so whatever bad plugin you may have is there even if you do not use it.

So you should try moving all plugins to unused folder, then try again. If bounce goes through, you have better educated guess that some plugin caused it. Finding it is not quick as you need to bring the plugins back one vendor at a time, quitting PT between moving plugins and trying to find out when you get the same problem.

albee1952 04-13-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebosphere (Post 2598309)
Good idea! When you say commute - do you mean import into a new session?

sorry, I meant COMMIT(so when you get to Bounce, the plugin(s) is inactive:o

JFreak's comments do bring up a valid point, but figuring out if making a plugin inactive is still part of the troubleshooting process. If you disable every plugin and it still hangs, then I would run his suggestion as the very next step(though I suspect that you can probably skip the stock plugins).

JFreak 04-13-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2599368)
you can probably skip the stock plugins

Unless you have hacked PT to not copy stock plugins to the plugins folder, it is easy to just move everything to unused folder and the stock plugins are copied back automatically on next launch.

nebosphere 04-13-2021 08:13 PM

Anyone try bouncing with the pad to frame boundary box checked? If my session happens to be crashing after a bounce, unchecking that box usually fixes it. I would never check it manually - seems pro tools leaves it checked if you had previously bounced an mov and then do another bounce as another audio format (in this case wav).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk