Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Listening Session - Home Studio Version (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=137562)

doylemusic 05-23-2005 12:56 PM

Listening Session - Home Studio Version

Alright, so I was thinking..."How can I contribute to the DUC?". I mean, you have the DAVEC test, Best PC thread, and Roy's listening thread. So here is something that I think may assist you in your mid to low priced gear purchases. Hopefully I can keep this going for a while.

The first edition is Mic Locker.

Below are links to 6 different mic sound files. I'm no singer, so I played my trumpet. Here's the skinny:

These sound files are comprised of 6 different mics (RODE NTK, Shure SM57, Sennheiser E609, MXL57, Apex 435, and Shure KSM32). I have not labeled the files, as to allow you to hear them with an unbiased brand opinion. All files were recorded at the same time, with all mics running through a Digimax Lt. Take was recorded with the bell about 16 inches from the mics. With the exception of a little compression, no affects were added (EQ or otherwise).

mic setup

Take a listen and see which you prefer, maybe even try to match the mic with the sound file. I have listed the soundfile answer key on my website (main page, bottom left corner) main page

mic 1

mic 2

mic 3

mic 4

mic 5

mic 6

all mics

I hope to do a similar excercise with voice, gtr and drums in the future. Also using different mic pres as well. Hope this helps someone. Thanks

superpenguin79 05-23-2005 02:17 PM

Re: Listening Session - Home Studio Version

nice! Excellent way to get a good listen to some mics. I hear one in particular that I have added to my wish list. lol Thanks for the listen though Doyle!

bigbubbaj 05-23-2005 03:44 PM

Man that 435 is nice on trumpet!!

My top 3

Apex 435
Sm57
NTK

Shure ksm32 is almost unlistenable!

BUT the ALL version really sounds awesome!

doylemusic 05-23-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

My top 3

Apex 435
Sm57
NTK

Interesting....

bigbubbaj 05-23-2005 04:16 PM

Whaddya mean?

you like other ones better?

Well i suppose people hire us for the way that WE hear!

doylemusic 05-23-2005 04:19 PM

My first response to the 435 was that I didn't like it on trumpet. I like the ones that hype the mids and lows more, the 435 does seem to be a bit truer though.

superpenguin79 05-23-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

man, honestly I thought the KSM32 was one of the best IMHO... I would go with the 435 second caus it just has this cool sort of almost displaced vibe going on with it that makes the trumpet sound like it has a guitar tremelo arm on it somehow... lol I honestly didn't dig the 57 caus it seemed like it had way too bright of a texture to it somehow... *shrugs*

Doyle: you did an awesome Trumpet job though btw! Its great to see lots of talented musicians around the boards.

doylemusic 05-23-2005 05:09 PM

charlie, yeah I liked the ksm32 also. It's interesting to see what different people like. When I'm doing jazz sessions, I like the ksm32 on sax and the ntk on trumpet. Thanks for listening.

superpenguin79 05-23-2005 05:29 PM

yep, all a matter of what works for the style of music I guess.. I was just talking with a friend that works in a post house the other day for example that was telling me how his mentor used a ribbon mic for a kick drum...... I instantly cringed and was thinking... "mic replacement" but there were little tricks that he did to make the ribbon keep in tact and it sounded awesome I guess... *shrugs* all in the technique also I guess.. lol anyways, thanks again for the listen man. Very cool!

doylemusic 05-24-2005 08:33 AM

Whatever gets the job done.