Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Protools dictionary of terms. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=381947)

Terry Wetzel 06-19-2016 05:41 AM

Protools dictionary of terms.

Morning guys. For a long time now I've been following along on the forums in an effort to increase my general knowledge of how PT's works and how to fix or get around issues that seem common. Much of what I am missing is due to not understanding the language you guys use in expressing the tech side of issues. So, I had this idea that to help newbies and slow learners like myself why not put up a Pro tools users dictionary of terms! Who knows? It might even be beneficial to pros. Make it where one could type the term they need the definition of by clicking on Search in the log in screen and there it would be. Whatya think? ;):-):cool:

albee1952 06-19-2016 06:57 AM

Re: Protools dictionary of terms.

It's a great idea, but I think we already have this with the help files. Since I am traveling, I can't check, but the help files in PT is a pdf files that should be searchable :o

Wireline 06-19-2016 08:07 AM

Seconded... I'll go one further and start screaming (again) for RIAA, NARAS, someone, to demand standardizing terminologies across the entire DAW industry.

[/cane pounding]

Bruce Paine 06-19-2016 01:07 PM

Hi Terry, I'm not sure if there is a newer version, but there is a Pro Tools Glossary from Pro Tools 10 available here (included in the full v10 docs download file). Could be of some help anyway. :-)

Benoni 06-19-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Paine (Post 2365139)
Hi Terry, I'm not sure if there is a newer version, but there is a Pro Tools Glossary from Pro Tools 10 available here (included in the full v10 docs download file). Could be of some help anyway. :-)

BRUUCCE! What's up dude? Hope all is well man. :cool:

Terry Wetzel 06-20-2016 05:16 AM

Bruce. Thanks for your suggestion but what I'm suggesting would be an immediate way for an op to quickly determine the definition of any commonly used term by simply typing it in at the SEARCH portion of the Forums main screen. I realize that there are other ways as your suggestion states but it still requires searching through various topics. Of coarse my way would require effort on the part of Avid and my limited knowledge of the tech side of writing software might well be the show stopper!

Terry Wetzel 06-20-2016 05:19 AM

Thanks Wireline. To make my point I haven't a clue what RAIA or NARAS mean?

Terry Wetzel 06-20-2016 05:27 AM

Thanks Dave. You are correct as usual but, as I said the Help option still requires searching through numerous topics. In my case I would forget what exactly I was searching for before I ever found it. The Pro tools user guides are repetitive and redundant and I've worn mine out. I doubt they were ever proof read! At the risk of sounding politically correct, this option would be a real benefit to the handicapped as well.

Wireline 06-20-2016 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel (Post 2365271)
Thanks Wireline. To make my point I haven't a clue what RAIA or NARAS mean?

RIAA - Reording Industry Association of America
NARAS - National Acadamy of Recording Arts and Science (Grammys)

Both of these along with AES established a long and stringent series OS standards...what level, how many volts, what is stereo vs mono, etc, How should projects be prepared to be sent from recordist so to mixers to mastering plants to reproduction houses...all these things have established measurements, which are explained in universal terminologies so everyone (is supposed to) understand each other.

Just an example...moving a collection of recorded tracks from one place to another, to be further worked by someone else. Some DAW call this process 'export,' some call it 'bounce,' others call it 'copy in.' Then there's the idea of 32float vs. 24 fixed vs. something else; consolidated with or without effects, just tracks or the unique overlay instructions every DAW uses, etc etc etc. each step of this process can use a completely different set of words to describe the same thing.

See what I mean about confusion?

Terry Wetzel 06-20-2016 10:01 AM

Thanks Wireline. Those are great examples of what I'm talking about. ORGANIZATION or in this case lack of it! I can pretty well guess that things started to fall apart with the birth of the internet and digital/computer recording. Everyone trying to do things their own way! kind of a 21century tower of babel! :D :eek: