Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack Standalone Editor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349624)

derker 01-16-2014 11:11 AM

Re: Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2122033)
Oh, and please add wider front panel screen and a few more menu knobs to the next gen hardware request list please...

Haha, if we're starting a wish list got a next-gen hardware I think we can come up with one as long as the forum itself! :p

Darryl Ramm 01-16-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derker (Post 2122044)
Haha, if we're starting a wish list got a next-gen hardware I think we can come up with one as long as the forum itself! :p

I am willing to bet serious amounts of good beer that it will always be a lot shorter than a software feature wishlist :-)

jeffro 01-16-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2122039)
Jeff
I am suspecting this is an unintentional typo, other information I've seen such as comments on Pro Tools Expert implied a 10.8/Mountain Lion requirement.
But just to be clear are you are saying, separate from requiring a 64 bits that the GUI requires Mavericks to run on OS X? And is that to run at all/known not to work, or to be officially supported? Mountain Lion is a perfectly fine 64 bit OS. I'm just trying understated the exact the requirements here.
Thanks.
Darryl

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2122011)
Well I guess that cat is out of the bag - I'm still at 10.8.4
However it's not terrible but it will push me to 10.9.1...

I didn't mean to connect those 2 statements - sorry if I caused confusion. Just pointing out that one of our host platforms is encouraging their customers to continue to move to 64-bit by giving their OS away (edited my post to clarify).

The "Requires a 64-bit operating system—Windows 8, Windows 7, or OS X 10.8 or later" statement about the Eleven Rack Editor on PTE is correct AFAIK.

christophersad 01-16-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2121996)
This was actually the plan all along. Pulling the Eleven Rack Editor out of PT11 allowed us to get PT11 out sooner, and bundling PT10 with PT11 provided that functionality until a standalone app could be released. Obviously not a perfect solution, but a compromise we needed to make based on our resources and other work.

to me its just a smart move,btw its funny that u skipped the direct question in my previous post.

ps i still use an old xp 32 bit system,i have a 64 bit mac too but i like a lot my 32bit old lady

jeffro 01-16-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christophersad (Post 2122077)
to me its just a smart move,btw its funny that u skipped the direct question in my previous post.

Sorry, I'm here to help with current issues and try to clarify how we got here when possible. Product Managers would need to comment on the future (if and when they can).

Quote:

Originally Posted by christophersad (Post 2122077)
ps i still use an old xp 32 bit system,i have a 64 bit mac too but i like a lot my 32bit old lady

I'm the opposite... just upgraded from an old 32-bit PC to a 64-bit PC at work, but (as you can see from my sig) I'm still running a 32-bit Mac Pro at home (and most of my audio adventures happen on the latter).

musicman691 01-16-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2122048)
I didn't mean to connect those 2 statements - sorry if I caused confusion. Just pointing out that one of our host platforms is encouraging their customers to continue to move to 64-bit by giving their OS away (edited my post to clarify).

The "Requires a 64-bit operating system—Windows 8, Windows 7, or OS X 10.8 or later" statement about the Eleven Rack Editor on PTE is correct AFAIK.

Actually your first paragraph isn't totally correct either. Mountain Lion is 64 bit but was not given away. Mavericks is the freebie from Apple and it's not Apple's first 64 bit os. I don't see Apple encouraging anyone to move to Mavericks by giving it away. It sure as heck isn't making me move from OSX 10.8.5 because it is already 64 bit. IIRC even 10.6.8 is a 64 bit os - at least it boots into 64 bit kernel.

musicman691 01-16-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2121996)
This was actually the plan all along. Pulling the Eleven Rack Editor out of PT11 allowed us to get PT11 out sooner, and bundling PT10 with PT11 provided that functionality until a standalone app could be released. Obviously not a perfect solution, but a compromise we needed to make based on our resources and other work.

If this was the plan all along Avid could at least have communicated it better. And I thought the bundling of PT10 and 11 was just so plugins that haven't made the jump to aax64 bit could still be used - had no idea it was Avid's intention all along to never have the editor work inside PT itself.

Or was it something else like software problems that couldn't be solved integrating the 11 Rack editor and PT11? And I don't mean solved in a reasonable amount of time but solved at all.

YYR123 01-16-2014 03:13 PM

I don't think we should be beating Jeffro up here - he is a part of the machine and would probably like to change how things are done as well if he could

jeffro 01-16-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2122128)
Actually your first paragraph isn't totally correct either. Mountain Lion is 64 bit but was not given away. Mavericks is the freebie from Apple and it's not Apple's first 64 bit os. I don't see Apple encouraging anyone to move to Mavericks by giving it away. It sure as heck isn't making me move from OSX 10.8.5 because it is already 64 bit. IIRC even 10.6.8 is a 64 bit os - at least it boots into 64 bit kernel.

I didn't say Mavericks was their first 64-bit OS, just that they are continuing to pull people in that direction (meaning... we're not going to go backwards here).

jeffro 01-16-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2122131)
If this was the plan all along Avid could at least have communicated it better. And I thought the bundling of PT10 and 11 was just so plugins that haven't made the jump to aax64 bit could still be used - had no idea it was Avid's intention all along to never have the editor work inside PT itself.

Or was it something else like software problems that couldn't be solved integrating the 11 Rack editor and PT11? And I don't mean solved in a reasonable amount of time but solved at all.

Plug-in compatibility was the bigger reason for bundling PT10+11, but the decision was made before PT11 shipped that the ER would be pulled from PT so it was never an issue of integration problems within PT because that was not pursued.