Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   ICON Faders - People's experience please (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=220811)

legasafe 04-30-2008 08:10 AM

ICON Faders - People\'s experience please

I read today the third complaint I have heard about fighting faders on both the D-Command and D-Control.

I am wondering how widespread this issue is?

Is it a general problem people are trying to get over? Or is it just specific to some of the desks? If I could get some feedback from different ICON users, particularly D-Control users that would be great.

How do you find the faders?

Thanks guys,

Elliott.

Drew Mazurek 04-30-2008 10:49 AM

Re: ICON Faders - People\'s experience please

Once in a while, if I don't grab the fader properly (on top) it will fight a little, otherwise, mine are fine. This happens once or twice a week and seems mostly like user error.

I just had a Venue demo and the faders seem to be identical to my D Command.

Branko 04-30-2008 04:34 PM

It is a rare situation where I have to fight the fader on Icon. I spent the last week mixing on DFC - the feeling is the same. Occasionally, one has to insist a bit more to get the fader into Write mode on both consoles.
Branko

mtung 05-01-2008 05:50 AM

I have two D-commands and both units have had to replace faders that simply would not behave. Since their replacement, they have all been working normal. However, once and a while a fader will not respond to anything. For example, if I move a bank of faders, there sometimes is a fader that doesn't snap to where it is supposed to. This same fader is fixed by calibrating the faders from the utilities page. Today they are all good, knock on wood.

mike

teacherman 05-01-2008 07:31 AM

All three of my Digi control surfaces (D-Command, D-Control and ProControl) have daily (or hourly) encounters with Fighting Faders. Problem keeps occuring even when I have to often replace faders.

I was told by DigiSupport that the only Temp Fix for this is to Lick Your Fingers (keep fingers moist) before touching the faders. Although this seems to work, it is a gross and unsanitary. I guess you could keep a small cup of water to dip your fingers in before touching fader, but then would probably get water dripping into the unit and shorting out something in the console.

This is NOT how one is suppose to spend time mixing.

On other hand....I LOVE the feel of the fades on the VENUE...Very nice, Excellent!! No problems what so ever....EVER.

Why can't ICON's get the same faders as the Venue??

Drew Mazurek 05-01-2008 07:43 AM

Are all three of your control surfaces under the same roof? Did you do the Venue session in the same place? Why is not everyone having the same issues as you?

SBP 05-01-2008 01:42 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. Just to let you know that the faders are good on the icon (D-control) here -we've never had to lick our fingers!

The pro control fights a bit sometimes -but its always done this.

I've found with the icon that you can be surprisingly light with the touch and get control.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Bruno

Stompinmsc 05-01-2008 02:38 PM

Ok, this might sound obsurd but I upgraded my Fader caps with SSL Duality Caps and I have never had a fight since. I have a 24 channel D-Command and the faders have been performing well. The SSL Caps are a hair wider too and seem to be heavier (in grams of course) They feel very good as well. The sides of the caps are dedented instead of raised and for me a bit easier to see the set value at a glance. Call me crazy...

teacherman 05-01-2008 05:21 PM

Hey dmazurek,

No, I don't own a Venue. I've been doing some side work for a facility here in town that has a Venue.

L8TR,

Drew Mazurek 05-01-2008 06:08 PM

I'd wonder why the 3 units at your place have issues and the unit that's not doesn't. Seems like a trend to me. I believe the faders are the same in Venues and ICONs.

And the Duality faders blow!!!! Same ones that are on a DM2000. We have all sorts of issues with them. For $300k I expected the Axiom faders which are great.