Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Can PT 8 run on two different 002's? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=266683)

Albert VS 02-09-2010 11:09 PM

Can PT 8 run on two different 002's?

I've got a Digi console 002 in storage (was broken but had it repaired) and am using a newer 002 R modified by Black Lion Audio. I've just bought a Rok Box Elite recording computer (with i7 Intel chip!!) and a PT 8 software upgrade disc.

The engineer installing the PT 8 software into my new computer says he will need one of the 002's to configure PT 8 and the new computer. If I ship him the 002 console I'm not using, will the newer 002R version work with the configuration he's installing in the computer? (He didn't know).

The reason I ask is because I also bought a Pace I-Lok key and some Digi plug ins, and am wondering if the 002's serial number is somehow "locked" into the system during installation of PT 8 on the computer and I-Lok. I don't want to end up with a computer that will only work with by "back up" 002 that I won't be using for long.
Does anyone know if the 002's are "interchangeable" with the computer when it's running PT 8 and the I-Lok key?

irishharry 02-10-2010 03:08 AM

Re: Can PT 8 run on two different 002's?

They will both work fine. The hardware isn't locked to the software.

Albert VS 02-10-2010 11:34 PM

Thanks for responding, Irish. It did seem like a dumb question, but the main reason I asked is because the 002 console that I'm sending to PCAudiolabs for the configuration of their Rok Box Elite computer and PT 8 won't be the same DAW as I'm actually going to use after the computer is finished.

I've ordered a newer 002R with Command 8, modified by Black Lion Audio, which will be here in about 2-3 weeks, and saw a thread here about PT8 not "recognizing" the Command 8 unless you mess around with the configuration to enable the Command 8 to "talk" to the 002 R with PT 8.

As PCAudiolabs is building the computer for me and installing the PT 8 software, I wanted them to deal with the configuration issues, since I'm a newbie to PT setups and have had major issues getting my older 002 console and computer working properly..... believe it or not, I've spent about 95% of my time getting PT to work right, so I don't want the same thing to happen all over again. My problems have been caused by a computer that wasn't built with Digi-approved parts inside, so I kept getting DAE error codes that drove me insane....

Eric Seaberg 02-11-2010 07:22 AM

You're obviously not running on a Mac, are you? This is the Mac forum, but you still got your answer, yes? ProTools doesn't care about WHICH device it is, as long as there is one connected.

Now, since you're getting the Command-8 and, I assume, running on Windows, you WILL have other setup issues once it arrives. If I were you, I'd schedule another appointment with your install guy and have him setup the Command-8 when you get it.

Albert VS 02-12-2010 10:24 PM

Hi Eric,
Oops, I was doing some research on getting a Mac Pro when I was on the Mac forum and then decided to ask the question about the PT 8 config regarding the Command 8.

I'm buying a Mac Pro to run East West QL Composers Collection, should have bought a Mac Pro to run PT 8 as well......

By the way, by seeing your logo, I assume you have a studio that I can hire to do some professional mixdowns and mastering?

Cheers,

Albert

Eric Seaberg 02-13-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert VS (Post 1553505)
By the way, by seeing your logo, I assume you have a studio that I can hire to do some professional mixdowns and mastering?

Nope, sorry. We're privately owned non-commercial.

I'd recommend the guys at Studio West in SD. http://www.studiowest.com/ Great people, great gear, and LOTS of ProTools help as they're a certified training center. You're in a good town to get lots of help!!

Good luck!

necjamc 02-13-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert VS (Post 1552188)
Thanks for responding, Irish. It did seem like a dumb question, but the main reason I asked is because the 002 console that I'm sending to PCAudiolabs for the configuration of their Rok Box Elite computer and PT 8 won't be the same DAW as I'm actually going to use after the computer is finished.

I've ordered a newer 002R with Command 8, modified by Black Lion Audio, which will be here in about 2-3 weeks, and saw a thread here about PT8 not "recognizing" the Command 8 unless you mess around with the configuration to enable the Command 8 to "talk" to the 002 R with PT 8.

As PCAudiolabs is building the computer for me and installing the PT 8 software, I wanted them to deal with the configuration issues, since I'm a newbie to PT setups and have had major issues getting my older 002 console and computer working properly..... believe it or not, I've spent about 95% of my time getting PT to work right, so I don't want the same thing to happen all over again. My problems have been caused by a computer that wasn't built with Digi-approved parts inside, so I kept getting DAE error codes that drove me insane....

From what I understand after installing PT several times (although I do not have a Command 8) is that you need to connect it during install. But check the digi site to see if there is an installer for after the fact installation.