Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Roy Howell 01-27-2005 09:06 AM

Re: American Neo-Romantic Techno-Klezmer

Quote:

England (and yes it is raining)

Dopamine 01-27-2005 02:58 PM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!! *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dopamine

kastadyne 01-28-2005 10:14 AM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

OK, check out what three 16-year olds are capable of these days - write and sing stuff like this. It's called 'Numbered days'.
http://homepage.mac.com/narayankumar/FileSharing3.html

M.H._Muzik 01-28-2005 02:27 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Ok fellas I was looking at this thread...and I'm hoping that you guys can help me out. I've been studying the mixing and mastering process via the internet and things of that sort. I started from scratch and I'm progressing slowly but surely. Ok, now after 3 years (lol) I've just purchased Pro Tools Le 6.4. I have a MXL 990 Condenser Mic Running thru an ART Tube Pre Amp directly in to the MBox. I've had no real problems adjusting to the interface and things of that sort. I've just mixed down a test freestyle that one of my friends layed down when I got the system up and running (I do Hip Hop/Rap primarily). Now, the standard process I use to clean the vocals coming in to the MBox are as follows..

First - Noise Reduction
Second - Compression
Third - De-Esser
Fourth - Very Light Reverb
Fifth - Parameteric EQ
Sixth - Normalize or Limit

I dont use presets I try to listen as I clean them and do everything by ear (I read that somewhere). Unfortunately, I am not satisfied with the finish results. The Mix is audible and I can hear everything but for some reason it lacks that punch...the EQ's dont seem to be right either...The vocals are not melting into the track like I want them to...As I edit the songs...I listen to them thru a stereo/surround system with L/R Speakers a Center Speaker and a Subwoofer. I'm saving up for some studio powered-speakers.

I've attached a link to the song I just mixed...It's called "Strat's Birthday Freestyle"

Strats B-Day Freestyle

Is there anyone out there with more experience then me, that can Listen to this mix and give me some pointers or maybe point out wat I may be doing wrong...I'm pretty sure..I'm over doing something...I just dont know wat it is...Thanks for anyhelp or advice u guys leave me...I have pretty thick skin so dont hold back anything...ha ha

Oh Yeah one more thing...The vocals were Mono and the Track (which is a random instrumental) is in Stereo...I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Xray55 01-28-2005 02:33 PM

Jack Rabbit - just listened to For Jennifer, Crown and War - really enjoyed them all. Nice songwriting and arrangments and yadada -

gonna put out a CD soon?

bigbubbaj 01-28-2005 02:39 PM

MH-

When you say cleaning, are you talking about audiosuite? I prefer plugins.

Sounds like you cleaned the life out of a not so exciting performance.

You might want to have this artist double the performance to add punch.

Try an 1176 plugin.

Hmm.

it all comes down to performnace.

i was tracking a band who wondered why their song didnt have as much punch as a KORN cd.

i didnt have the heart to tell them.... 1) Arrangement 2) Talent 3) Performance. Everything else is secondary.

It is a cool song though! Talented rhyming.

-BigJ

M.H._Muzik 01-28-2005 03:04 PM

Re:Bub

Thanks Bub wats an 1176? Is that a Compressor/Bomb Factory Plugin? Thanks again for the feed back...and I did mean Audio Suite when I said "cleaning audios" earlier...I'm using Waves 5.0...Any more suggestions? Does it sound over compressed...or is it an EQ problem...Sorry I'm just trying to narrow down where I'm going wrong at.

bigbubbaj 01-28-2005 03:53 PM

Re:Bub

Quote:

Thanks Bub wats an 1176? Is that a Compressor/Bomb Factory Plugin?

Yeah, it works good for that.
Quote:

Thanks again for the feed back...and I did mean Audio Suite when I said "cleaning audios" earlier...I'm using Waves 5.0...Any more suggestions?

Why clean...I would strive for a cleaner signal going into PTLE. Then use plugin - inserts rather than audioisuite.

Quote:

Does it sound over compressed...or is it an EQ problem...Sorry I'm just trying to narrow down where I'm going wrong at.

it just didn't have any life. Maybe you squeezed (compresssed) the life out of it, maybe you picked the wrong freqierncies to EQ... who knows.

Can you get back to the original wav in the file list view? I would start over on processing. I usually only use Audiosuite for clip removal, autotuning, normalizing, stuff like that. Some subtle eq. Use the waves REQ4 or something. Boost the heck out of one fewquency...and sweep it up and down the spectrum until you REALLY hear something that doesnt sound good. Cut there (always cut with a tight Q is possible, boosting can be a wider Q). Rinse and repeat a few times. If you hear something you really like that helps define the track...BOOST IT (a bit). Im sure comeone else can ecplain this better...but it will get you started.

Sometimes...less = more.

Try GOOD studio headphones if your monitoring stinks.

Good luck! Post back!

-BigJ

Jack Rabbit 01-28-2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

...reminds me of Ian Anderson.

Tamar,

He made a huge impression on me as a teenager. It was his phrasing. For example, the way he sings the word "unfashionable" in Too Old To Rock And Roll, Too Young To Die.

Jack Rabbit 01-28-2005 04:41 PM

Quote:

Jack Rabbit - just listened to For Jennifer, Crown and War - really enjoyed them all. Nice songwriting and arrangments and yadada -

gonna put out a CD soon?

Thanks, Xray55. No CD probably. Just the website: Ordinary Rabbit.