Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   How I solved my midi double note problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=212434)

relse 12-25-2007 07:52 AM

How I solved my midi double note problem

Like others, I was getting double notes when recording midi in ProTools. I would get one note of normal duration, and one very short co-located note that I normally couldn't see or hear, unless I magnified the track, or if I tried to quantize, in which case I would hear what was apparently random shortened duration on playback.

I am using an MAudio Axiom-61 keyboard, which I connected to my Mac with the supplied USB cable to get power to the keyboard, because it didn't come with a power supply. I also connected the MIDI OUT of the keyboard to the MIDI IN of my MBox.

Turns out that by default the Axiom sends MIDI messages through both the USB and MIDI ports. The solution was to "MIDI Out From USB" mode OFF in the Axiom, by pressing the Data2 and Data3 function keys simultaneously (this might be different on the Axiom 25 - see the user guide). Alternately, in ProTools, choose Setup-->Midi-->Input Devices and deselect both occurrences of what appeared in my setup as "USB Axiom 61".

Hope this helps other fellow sufferers!

accession 12-25-2007 05:19 PM

Re: How I solved my midi double note problem

Nice one.

I was experiencing a similar issue with synths hooked up to my MIDI interface.

As it happened, I had *both* the synths and the MIDI interface checked as an "input device". So as a result, Pro Tools was seeing *both* the synth playing a note along with the MIDI interface 'playing' the same note, simultaneously. Uncheck the MIDI interface box, and all was good.

Thomzzzzz 01-05-2008 09:22 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the post, but it didn't seem to work for me... I have an Axiom 25 keyboard, connected only with USB, since there is no MIDI on my M-Box 1. I have this problem and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

I've tried your solution, although it seemed a little unnessecary in my case (not having a "real" MIDI interface). I've seen the MIDI logo in the screen, and did it again, and it disappeared. This didn't help, but do you have any idea how to fix it otherwise?

Thanks,
Thom

CapnChem 01-08-2008 06:38 PM

i hope this works...it did for me on my maudio usb keys. launch protools with keyboard off, turn on keyboard after. then the li'l midi "x" notes don't happen. launching with keys off is a good rule of thumb, anyway. unfortunately that doesn't help for the performance you already recorded. you might have to manually delete those...break out the magnifying glass

nOrakat 11-10-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relse (Post 1201912)
Like others, I was getting double notes when recording midi in ProTools. I would get one note of normal duration, and one very short co-located note that I normally couldn't see or hear, unless I magnified the track, or if I tried to quantize, in which case I would hear what was apparently random shortened duration on playback.

I am using an MAudio Axiom-61 keyboard, which I connected to my Mac with the supplied USB cable to get power to the keyboard, because it didn't come with a power supply. I also connected the MIDI OUT of the keyboard to the MIDI IN of my MBox.

Turns out that by default the Axiom sends MIDI messages through both the USB and MIDI ports. The solution was to "MIDI Out From USB" mode OFF in the Axiom, by pressing the Data2 and Data3 function keys simultaneously (this might be different on the Axiom 25 - see the user guide). Alternately, in ProTools, choose Setup-->Midi-->Input Devices and deselect both occurrences of what appeared in my setup as "USB Axiom 61".

Hope this helps other fellow sufferers!

I know this is many years later but..

You are the man! There is no way I would have figured that out. Would have had the problem forever..

Why would it make the other note super short?