Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   S1 and SSL UF8 in Tandem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=424230)

HausMedia 04-07-2023 07:54 PM

S1 and SSL UF8 in Tandem

I find myself possessing both an S1 and the SSL UF8 through plenty of fault of my own. Does anyone have a similar setup and if so, how are they using each piece so as not to be redundant. Of course if I had to choose one or the other, the S1 wins but my first thought, if I'm to use both, would be to use the S1 as my main fader pack for the individual channels and put VCA's or Aux busses on the SSL.

To make matters, or at least my desk, more cluttered, I have a PT Dock as well.

Thoughts on using this setup effectively? Or sell the UF8 and be happy with my S1 and Dock.

TIA

its2loud 04-08-2023 05:43 AM

Re: S1 and SSL UF8 in Tandem

My suggestion, sell the UF8 and buy another S1.

Putting the VCA’s on the UF8 does not but you any additional workflow since you cannot spill the VCA’s on the UF8. If you had 2 S1’s I think you’d find the benefit of using Multi-Master mode VCA spill as well as the 32 programmable softkeys available to you. As well as a ton of other benefits with the included Dock.

HausMedia 04-08-2023 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2667822)

Putting the VCA’s on the UF8 does not but you any additional workflow since you cannot spill the VCA’s on the UF8. If you had 2 S1’s I think you’d find the benefit of using Multi-Master mode VCA spill as well as the 32 programmable softkeys available to you. As well as a ton of other benefits with the included Dock.

This is the conclusion I seem to be coming to with input from other users in other forums. Thanks!

its2loud 04-08-2023 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HausMedia (Post 2667842)
This is the conclusion I seem to be coming to with input from other users in other forums. Thanks!

If you use other DAWs, the UF8 might still come in handy if those DAWs don’t support Eucon. If you don’t need to sell it to fund another S1

EddieJones 04-08-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2667845)
If you use other DAWs, the UF8 might still come in handy if those DAWs don’t support Eucon. If you don’t need to sell it to fund another S1

EUCON also supports Mackie Control

Ben Jenssen 04-08-2023 11:27 AM

Have you considered the UC1 - hands on control of SSL channelstrip (4000B or 9000E/G) and bus compressor plugins?
I think it's such a wonderful complementation to a DAW controller like S1 or in my case 2 x Artist Mix. You could sell the S1 and have the UF8/UC1 combo, but then you would not have Eucon. But a S1 + Dock + UC1 = Dynamite, IMO.

UC1 – …"from my cold, dead hands". :D

albee1952 04-09-2023 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2667858)
Have you considered the UC1 - hands on control of SSL channelstrip (4000B or 9000E/G) and bus compressor plugins?
I think it's such a wonderful complementation to a DAW controller like S1 or in my case 2 x Artist Mix. You could sell the S1 and have the UF8/UC1 combo, but then you would not have Eucon. But a S1 + Dock + UC1 = Dynamite, IMO.

I was going to suggest the same, and don't be scared of buying via the link as sometimes Thomann beats USA pricing enough that they have the best deal, even after the shipping(I have bought several things from them and they usually arrive in 3 days):o

HausMedia 04-10-2023 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2667858)

I forgot to add that I did indeed order the UC1 at the same time I ordered the UF8 and the UC1 is not going back. It's a game-changer.

And to close this thread out, it took me just a couple of days of working with the S1 and Dock combination to realize how powerful it is. The UF8 doesn't even come close as far as integration with Pro Tools..I guess that's to be more than expected but until I actually got my hands on the S1, I didn't realize how power the integration was. And so, I have sent the UF8 back, just within the return window but probably at the loss of a restocking fee, and ordered a second S1.

Now...to make some music.

Thanks all.

J

EddieJones 04-11-2023 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HausMedia (Post 2668068)
I forgot to add that I did indeed order the UC1 at the same time I ordered the UF8 and the UC1 is not going back. It's a game-changer.

And to close this thread out, it took me just a couple of days of working with the S1 and Dock combination to realize how powerful it is. The UF8 doesn't even come close as far as integration with Pro Tools..I guess that's to be more than expected but until I actually got my hands on the S1, I didn't realize how power the integration was. And so, I have sent the UF8 back, just within the return window but probably at the loss of a restocking fee, and ordered a second S1.

Now...to make some music.

Thanks all.

J

It would be great if you posted that last comment into the Facebook post you made :-)

Guy McDude 07-10-2023 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2667822)

Regarding the user programmable keys.
I think the UF8 has 5 banks of 8, so if that’s a selling point, as it is for me, you’re getting more of that feature / function with 1 UF8 than 2 S1s.