Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   ARM based drivers for Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422706)

maxcarola 12-05-2022 03:47 AM

ARM based drivers for Eleven Rack

I own Eleven Rack and until I upgraded to M1 macs I was using it as a general interface. I was using the AES out to send the digital out to my Mytek converter and all was exceptionally cool.
Now M1 macs don't allow to use it as an I/O interface.
I only need that, not the fancy editor stuff.
It's possible to make an update to the driver to work with the Arm based processors?
Thanks

JoelG 12-05-2022 04:12 AM

Re: ARM based drivers for Eleven Rack

I don't forsee this happening. The driver for the Eleven Rack hasn't been updated for almost 2 years now: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...n-Rack-Drivers

Joel

JFreak 12-05-2022 04:39 AM

Sadly, me neither. There is still hope, though. 11R final sale date was 30-JUN-2019 and therefore end of support will be 30-JUN-2024

I suggest contacting Avid Support directly.

On another note, my C24 end of support date is 31-DEC-2022 and there are rumors of Apple Silicon public beta this year, so I would expect they bring that surface to modern life. But because the rumor is about beta, they don't need to promise anything.

BScout 12-05-2022 11:01 AM

I would expect nothing but Eucon surfaces to carry forward (other than HUI which is just MIDI) to Apple Silicon. Why would Avid spend time/resources on a long dead product? They support it to run with the software/operating systems that it came out with. Not a guarantee of future operating systems/hardware.

(and a beta isn't an officially released product; that's the genius of calling something a "public beta." Pretty sure the C24 is dead unless you go to Windows.)

JFreak 12-05-2022 11:27 AM

My words were nicer put, but okay. There are some legal things about EOL dates, but the wording of fine print also leaves them some room. Still, back to the point, 11R end of support is so far away I would say there is hope (especially if 11R users keep contacting support).

JoelG 12-05-2022 06:04 PM

I've understood it that end of support dates are for parts, not drivers..

Joel

smurfyou 12-05-2022 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelG (Post 2655167)
I've understood it that end of support dates are for parts, not drivers..

Joel

Yes. MBox 3 Pro was still in "support" when macOS transitioned to 64-bit only. They had several years to plan a 64 bit driver, they just decided not to. So even though it was supported it would not work with a newly purchased machine at that time. I didn't like the thing that much anyway but I complained to Avid on principle ;)

Darryl Ramm 12-05-2022 07:38 PM

Avid actively training it's past customer base not to purchase Avid hardware.

Eleven Racks make great boxes, absolute bargain fun, and great as outboard processors, I long since stopped stressing about them as interfaces.

hacha 12-18-2022 04:47 AM

I have my new Mac Studio with M1 chip and found that the eleven rack doesn't work with ARM chips... I was happy with the auxiliary I/O where I could record with the eleven without having to be connected to the main interface. But now we go back, technology advances, upgrade Avid.
I made a claim to technical support, we'll see what "no-response" they give.

audiolex1 01-03-2023 08:38 PM

Eleven rack reached EOL (End of life) years ago.

One solution that works for me. Plenty of older laptops or Mac mini's on the market you could pickup for a few hundred bucks.
Get a mini, no screen needed. Leave it plugged in, use screen share, control it from there.

Problem solved.