Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Will MBox 2 Pro taking full advantage of 8 CPU in PT 7,4??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=217228)

gar_lei 03-04-2008 08:29 PM

Will MBox 2 Pro taking full advantage of 8 CPU in PT 7,4???

Hello

I'm planning to get MBox 2 Pro and I have a MacPro (2008) with 8 cores.
I want to know if the issue of using only 3 processors will be (or planning to be) fixed with PT 7,4?

Cause it would really suck to be limited to 3 processors when I paid 3K for a computer that has 8 processors inside...

Please let me know...

gar_lei 03-05-2008 10:00 AM

Re: Will MBox 2 Pro taking full advantage of 8 CPU in PT 7,4

Can someone from Digi please confirm with me?

djcream 03-05-2008 04:54 PM

I'm not from Digi, but as you probably know from their site the early '08 Mac Pro "Harpertown" model is still "in testing". I can tell you that from 1 - 8, declaring only 2 processors on my system gets me the best performance. I think there are some posts here with people using other Digi hardware with this model - so maybe check around to see if there's a better option for you than Mbpx 2 Pro, unless you want to wait for Digi to test it with this model and their Leopard upgrade.

I did some testing, and I am not at all disappointed with the performance using only 2 processors. But yes, it does seem a waste of the other 6, especially if your main reason for buying the Mac Pro is to run PT. You want to take full advantage of it of course. I already had the Mbox 2 Pro when I bought the Mac Pro, so I had similar reservations- but I'm not regretting it. If you;re interested see this thread
Hopefully you'll get some other opinions from more computer-savvy people who can explain this limitation. And others who are using different hardware utilizing all 8 processors.

gar_lei 03-05-2008 05:18 PM

Hello

Thanks for the reply.
I do know that the Harpertown in under testing for PT right now.
I'm running Digi002R with 2 CPU without any problems.
But I would be selling my Digi002R soon and get a MBox Pro.

That's why I want to know if the processor issue would be or planning to be resolved in PT 7,4.
Because I don't want to spend extra money and get Digi003R to fully utilize my 8 cores. the MBox Pro suites me very well.

Hope to hear form Digi soon.

djcream 03-05-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Hope to hear form Digi soon.

I'll second that.

Actually, I think it would be PT 7.5?
Digi?

gar_lei 03-10-2008 09:56 PM

Can anyone please help?

donharriss 03-12-2008 04:40 PM

I have this same setup and like djcream have discovered using 2 processors is what works best for overall stability at the moment - still awesome performance, btw.

Since Leopard compatibility and the 2008 mac pros are not certified yet, it's a gamble to use this combo, but I'm reasonably certain they will both eventually be certified and 8 cores will be fully usable. The certification process usually takes a few months though so buyer/user beware.

I'm using this combo everyday for tracking/mixing audio with no problems whatsoever. However, I'm not using any plugs, but digi and altiverb - no sample players et al, no midi, no sync etc. YMMV.