Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/ LE? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=146386)

gibson_sg 09-11-2005 01:59 AM

Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/ LE?

Have there ever been any albums tracked and mixed only in LE that might have been popular enough, or actual did sale on a major scale? Might be a silly question, but I was just curious as to if LE was capable of such a thing if someone had the right hardware. And for whatever reasons didn't use HD or TDM.

ejwells 09-11-2005 04:09 AM

Re: Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/ LE?

I don't know.

But I do know THIS:

A guy who recorded a CD in my studio just got a record deal because of it.

Chances are that no big major label CD was recorded with LE, but LE can certainly sound as good as some major label stuff I've heard.

Then again, Jagged Little Pill was recorded on Black Face ADATs, so maybe there IS some product out there recorded with LE

IntelDoc 09-11-2005 06:41 AM

John Mayer tracked his first album on his 002 as I read somewhere. Then mixed it in the big studio.

Doc

CEGray 09-11-2005 09:01 AM

The Black Eyed Peas said this: "Although they rely on several Pro Tools rigs in the studio, the Black Eyed Peas recorded several of the tracks for their latest record while touring. "I've got an Mbox, and it's the same thing for me as a regular Pro Tools rig when I'm on the road," says Will. "There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox." Digizine 2005 issue, and of course he also tracks everything through an Avalon 737 preamp, Crane Song Flamingo and ADI 3124 preamps.

Shan 09-11-2005 01:07 PM

Re: Have there ever been any Major CD releases w/

Quote:

"There are four songs on the last record that were done on the Mbox." Digizine 2005 issue, and of course he also tracks everything through an Avalon 737 preamp, Crane Song Flamingo and ADI 3124 preamps.

ARRANGED in PT LE with the Mbox being used as the dongle to open up the sessions on the computer MIXED on an SSL board. Big difference.

All carefully worded by the Digi marketing team.

I tracked, edited and arranged a whole rock album on the 001 with 2 Top Forty hits from it. But it was all mixed on an SSL board. Again, BIG difference.

Shane

CEGray 09-11-2005 07:15 PM

You are oh so right Shan, I forgot to mention that, so couldn't I achieve that sound quality with an MBox and simply running all my gear through an XL Logic channel strip since the console is out of my price range?

A2D D2A 09-11-2005 09:39 PM

Lots of confusion, the simple thing is you have to put the money on the front or the back.
Either you spend the money on your front end by improving your pre's converters, mics etc or you spend the money on the back by mixing at a larger facility and using the mixer and outboard gear to compensate for your tracking.

***DISCLAIMER***
If you improve your front end it will still be very dependent on your skill level.

If you do some research you may be surprised at how many artist are actually using 002/002r's, because they do collabo's with other artist and have a TDM system jointly that they mix on.
Not in a larger facility but in a joint facility.
Pick some artist, producers etc whose work you are attracted to and research them to find out how and where they worked on a particular project.

spelbring 09-11-2005 10:19 PM

Quote:

John Mayer tracked his first album on his 002 as I read somewhere. Then mixed it in the big studio.

Doc

Room For Squares was tracked + mixed on a Mix Plus rig in a living room in Easton, MD. Additional tracking was done at major studios in NYC . I believe there was a previous record before that one, before being signed to Aware/Columbia, but that would have been well before 002's had been released. Also, a number of the songs on RFS's were remixed by Puig out at Ocean Way.

SR-71's last record was 90% tracked and fully mixed on a 001. Additional tracking was done on a mix plus (drums + beat detect) but all else was on a 001 in their basement. The album sold well overseas and contained the song "1985" which was covered by Bowling for Soup and did extremely well in the US.

-s

Bobbi Tube 09-12-2005 04:41 AM

This album will probably not qualify as popular enough, but I recorded it and mixed on DIGI 001 with PTLE 6.1 using only D-Verb and a rather limited Yamaha S-30 synthesizer. The album sales were about 3000 in the UK during the first 6 months of release, since then it has been released in Scandinavia, Western Europe, US, Australia and some Asian and African countries, I'm still waiting to see how it is doing outside of the UK.

https://www.newworldmusic.com/uk/pro...3a3c1a315a7d36

Skyflash 09-12-2005 06:54 AM

Neal Morse, a well known musician in the prog rock world recorded the last 3 albums
on an LE system at his newly built home studio. It was'nt known exactly which system
he used but it was either an 001 or an 002 as he used a Yamaha digital mixer as his
front end and the multi-tracked Mike Portnoy's drums right there at his house.

But much like the others mentioned, the two best selling prog albums he recorded
were mixed on a gigantic HD rig in California. He mixed down the groups into stems
and had the guy go from there. Both of the very popular albums sound very good.