Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New talkback mics for D-Control (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=143922)

oscillations 08-08-2005 01:46 PM

New talkback mics for D-Control

We swapped out the internal T/B in the D-Control. Early Icon users may remember the muffled, unclear sound the mic (cardiod) originally had. We were sent a new one that is omni and also supposed to sound a lot clearer. Anyone else notice that if you push it past -27 (the first segment on the encoder!) that it's super loud? Some joker left it turned up the other day, and I tested the talkback (thankfully BEFORE the session) and practically blew my ears out!

So if you've got one and haven't installed it yet, watch out! Otherwise it is definitely an improvement.

Chris Lambrechts 08-08-2005 02:59 PM

Re: New talkback mics for D-Control

argh .... , thanks for the warning. We haven't installed ours yet but were going to one of these. I'll remember to check this.

vactastic 08-09-2005 11:39 AM

We got ours, and it was a great improvement. One thing to watch for...some early models have the TB connector flipped, so you have to switch the pins around on the new TB harness. There are instructions that come with the new one. Just keep an eye out.

j

Igotsoul4u 08-09-2005 01:03 PM

Is this a new mic from Digi or an outside vendor? Where can I get one? The original sounds horrible.

oscillations 08-09-2005 02:00 PM

Quote:

argh .... , thanks for the warning. We haven't installed ours yet but were going to one of these. I'll remember to check this.

Let me know if you have the same issue. I didn't do the swap myself, I've just been using it the last couple days while assisting on a project and noticed it is LOUD.

It is still definitely an improvement as long as you don't go to turn up your monitors and accidentally increase the talkback level!

So, Vactastic, aside from the swapped pin order, have you had loudness issues with the talkback as well? Or is it just me?

soundasleep 10-02-2005 01:38 PM

Re: Speaking of Talkback.....

Any recs for a new wireless talkback switch for restless producers? RF/IR/the force? My ancient Brainstorm just doesn't work like it used to. Plus, I'm spec'ing out a new Icon room, and I'd like something designed (maybe) in this milennium. I searched the DUC w/o result. Thanks in advance.

oscillations 10-04-2005 09:48 AM

Re: Speaking of Talkback.....

I've been using an old brainstorm remote with great success. Could there be a wiring error in the transceiver's jack, maybe? Another problem i see often is people a) don't point the remote in the general direction of the transceiver, b) they don't always hold the button down the whole time. But most of the secret seems to be in placing the transceiver where it will pick up the remote without people having to think about where they point it, because even when you tell them, they don't

I would check the wiring, and look for interference (maybe the transceiver is on top of unsheilded speakers, etc, i dunno). In any case, it should work.

EDIT: also, when you say it doesn't work like it used to, I assume that it does work sometimes (i.e. you have set up the Footswitch pref. correctly.