Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Seriously Folks! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=286437)

zombie69 11-09-2010 02:01 PM

Seriously Folks!

I've been using PTLE since 6.4, and trolled these forums for just as long. I really don't understand all the bitching about 9.0.

This is including features we have been asking for years. ADC, Higher track count etc.

Now that Avid takes over and finally delivers, many of you feel that you got ripped off? You should be thankful that they actually listened and be mad at Digi for giving us years of limited functionality. This goes to show that all of the B.S. that digi fed us is now within our reach. Digi could have made PT9 years ago but didn't. Now Avid is catching them up to the present.

I like the workflow of Pro Tools, otherwise, I would have switched long ago.

We were also asking that the hardware not be used as a dongle so we could use what we like. Now we have ASIO and Core, and you folks feel like you got ripped off.

I have a digi 002r that has paid for itself many times over. I will probably keep that for sentimental value, but now I have the option to upgrade my interface to one of my choosing.

And by the way, the Mac you own is just a big dongle for the OS. =P

Pro Tools has always run well for me and I can work quickly and efficiently with the interface. ADC, higher track count, and no more hardware dongle are the icing on the cake for me.

ctyelvis 11-09-2010 02:23 PM

Re: Seriously Folks!

Hey is there a free upgrade for buying a new system? I just bought a new Rack plus system about 3 weeks ago. Surely that will qualify for an upgrade to 9?
:-)

Thanks!
-Chris

daeron80 11-09-2010 02:34 PM

No free for LE/MP owners, I'm afraid. It's not considered an upgrade to a new version. It's a crossgrade to what is in a way new product: unlike any prior PT, the software can be purchased and used separate from any Avid/Digidesign hardware. Thus, they're offering us a discounted crossgrade, at least for now.

ctyelvis 11-09-2010 02:44 PM

So would all future versions of Digi 00 products continue to ship with 8? That is unless they are about to come out with a Digi 004 system...
If not, I could see how this would be a little offensive to some users...
:(

-Chris

daeron80 11-09-2010 02:54 PM

Not a good idea, I'm afraid. New hardware bundled with 9 will be hardware price plus software price. It will be 2-3 hundred more than if it had been bundled with 8 or earlier. No free lunch. It's worth it! Good lunch!

ctyelvis 11-09-2010 03:07 PM

I just called into Avid/Digi, and talked to a guy about this. I haven't registered the new system or software yet, and wanted to know what my options were...
As it's been stated many time on the DUC, the only option is the $249 crossgrade.
The rep sounded like he had been having a looooong day. I said " you probably have been beat up on this subject quite a bit here recently". He said "the past 5 days have been pretty rough". I asked if the new systems would be bundled with 9. He said that "they would, but they will have a higher price tag".
Knowing the guy had a rough few days, I didn't want him to feel like I was trying to beat him up too, but I did ask him, what other company out there, would release a new improved version of a product and not give a complimentary software upgrade, if you had purchased a new system within 30 days? Or even an inexpensive upgrade price.
He said, "well the current price is discounted. It's usually $599 (or something like that)". Which is fine if you have owned your system for a year or so, but what about the guy who JUST BOUGHT a new system 3 weeks ago, or yesterday for that matter? Shouldn't they be entitled to an even lower upgrade price? It would only make sense, wouldn't it?

-Chris

Obsidian Dragon 11-09-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie69 (Post 1698012)
I've been using PTLE since 6.4, and trolled these forums for just as long. I really don't understand all the bitching about 9.0.

This is including features we have been asking for years. ADC, Higher track count etc.

Now that Avid takes over and finally delivers, many of you feel that you got ripped off? You should be thankful that they actually listened and be mad at Digi for giving us years of limited functionality. This goes to show that all of the B.S. that digi fed us is now within our reach. Digi could have made PT9 years ago but didn't. Now Avid is catching them up to the present.

I like the workflow of Pro Tools, otherwise, I would have switched long ago.

We were also asking that the hardware not be used as a dongle so we could use what we like. Now we have ASIO and Core, and you folks feel like you got ripped off.

I have a digi 002r that has paid for itself many times over. I will probably keep that for sentimental value, but now I have the option to upgrade my interface to one of my choosing.

And by the way, the Mac you own is just a big dongle for the OS. =P

Pro Tools has always run well for me and I can work quickly and efficiently with the interface. ADC, higher track count, and no more hardware dongle are the icing on the cake for me.

I agree with this post.

zombie69 11-09-2010 08:37 PM

Good to see you Dragon! I haven't been around these parts in forever!

Park Seward 11-09-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctyelvis (Post 1698100)
...but what about the guy who JUST BOUGHT a new system 3 weeks ago, or yesterday for that matter? Shouldn't they be entitled to an even lower upgrade price? It would only make sense, wouldn't it?

-Chris

Only if the item was just a new update. You will get all the V8 updates free. With PT9, it is considered a new product since it does more. Bundles would cost more with PT9. After all, you are getting new features, not just bug fixes.

I would expect Avid to sell hardware and software separately and in bundles. You can buy PT9 to use with any interface, including Avid's.

TheNoize 11-10-2010 01:17 AM

Ironic that I was banned from this forum so many times by the admins throughout the years, for saying exactly what zombie69 is saying about digidesign...